Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: What is most likely to make you speed less often? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: What is most likely to make you speed less often?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: What is most likely to make you speed less often?

Recently the Department of Transport are introducing more and more speed awareness courses as an alternative to the traditional points and a fine for drivers caught over the limit. But the effectiveness of the awareness courses over a finanicla penalty has yet to be measured. Maybe you've been on a course already, or have raked up points and or a fine in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 November 2012 09:21)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

So let me get this illogic straight from one or two posters:

I cannot learn everything I need to know about riding on the road by actually riding on the road.

I cannot learn how to ride properly on the road without being taught by "all the serious training organisations" ?

I remember a couple of rookies on new race reps hanging around our crowd for a while, telling me how I should go on a track day and learn how to get my knee down, how it would makie me faster and ride better and how wonderful Bikesafe is and how they teach you to speed safely. The they told me all they knew about tyre compounds Oh eye? So I took them out for a tootle round the lanes on a preset route and back to the bike park. I had to stop for 5 minutes to wait for them to catch up 1/2 mile round the ring road. I was begining to think they fell off. Out of town and into countryside and I spent so much time watching my mirrors to see where they were I gave up and left them. Back at the bike park I had got off me bike, gone to Maccas, queued up for coffee, brought it back out, sat on a bench and put sugar in, when the two guys pulled up on their bikes. They sulked with me for weeks. lol

As we say ... rookie talk.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

piroflip

As you rightly say "a time and a place". Know when and where.

Use what they call your "road craft" to keep a clean license not just for road safety.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Hosbusa!

There are training courses you can do on a track that don't involve getting your knee down and going as fast as you can, its just a safer environment to learn to  handle your bike to the best of your and your bikes capabilities. I've been trying to get my missus to go on one for a while coz despite having been riding for 9 years, including 3 trips abroad, she's still not confident at cornering. Trouble is, theres not many of these courses and you can finish up travelling a long way just to do it. She isn't out to be a scratcher, she just needs her confidence improving. We were in the the Alps a few years ago on a very twisty and damp road and she was passed (on the level) by a guy on a racing push bike. Hope she doesn't read this!

Reply to this Topic
dhr1

Mar 11

dhr1 says:

Change...

to a 170 mph speed limit. Never get busted then.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Neither of the above

Maturity, wisdom and self restraint are the three requirements for responsible road use.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

rlf3

I agree with your first two, but I'm having a lot of problems with the third!

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

I dont agree with you there mate certainly not for rookie riders.

The reasons are that track conditions are totally different to road conditions even down to the type of surface and cambers.Track riding can teach you nothing about roadcraft.

The basic riding lessons teaches you about how to use the controls properly, track time adds nothing to that compared to actually riding on the roads. A days riding course at the track would not teach anyone about basic controls compared to riding for one whole week on the road which people are capable of doing themselves. People don't ride enough and forget inbteween

We had a young lass and very inexperienced young rider hang around our crowd who had an R1 and was scared shitless of it. Choosing the right bike is half the problem? People choose a bike for the image they want to portray rather than what would best suit them. No shame in cutting your teeth on summat more realistic for a year or two, then moving up when you feel confident. Having said that there are too many people on bikes who should never, ever be on a bike. The moves from bikers I see when I'm out on the bike or in the car scares me to hell.

We were out for day in Warks on an open country main road in the car and following a bunch of guys on sports bikes, the guy at the back and infront of us was moving around on the seat, getting himself ready for the coming bends, could see him getting ready and sliding over the seat, hanging his knee out on every bend ! Cool hey?

Well not it wasn't.......... because the twat was riding at between 43 and 50mph on an open country A road with big sweeping bends and holding up a huge line of cars.(Easily a ton plus road) I was looking for the safe overtake to get past the prat, because he looked a total liability. Learn to ride properly before trying to be a track legend. Better still just ride properly or we will laugh at you. Its embarrassing.

I think track time making you a better road rider is an urban myth. Track time might convince some people that riding style is suitable for the road and it isnt. A day or two track time is also very different to racing on the track.

How about getting your mrs a tricycle ? I mean trike !!! lol

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

DHR1

Some of us may still get caught if the limit was 170, it would have to be 190.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

bit of a stupid post

we all know that speed can kill ( i say can and not will)

i dont think anything would stop me speeding  no mater what i rode or drove ..a few yrs back when i was fit i got told to slow down on a pushy by a cop

and to be honest i think we all speed  10mph or even 100mph  above and luv it

so to stop speeding get rid of cars bikes trucks ETC even horse n carts  make us walk in the old wooden clog so we can not run  and dont forget to wear your cotton wall and bubble wrap

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Speed does not kill....

Its very sudden deceleration that gets you. You can ride all day at ton plus speeds, but put a reinforced concrete wall (or other object of your choice) in the way and its game over in less than the blink of an eye. And you don't get to continue for 10p.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle