Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: What is most likely to make you speed less often? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: What is most likely to make you speed less often?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: What is most likely to make you speed less often?

Recently the Department of Transport are introducing more and more speed awareness courses as an alternative to the traditional points and a fine for drivers caught over the limit. But the effectiveness of the awareness courses over a finanicla penalty has yet to be measured. Maybe you've been on a course already, or have raked up points and or a fine in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 November 2012 09:21)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Hosbusa!

Well I have to say I don't agree because we are talking about two seperate aspects of riding. One is control of your bike and the other is the roadcraft you speak of. I've always said people should learn to ride/drive away from public roads until they are confident with the controls. Otherwise its like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time as you are trying to control the bike and read the road at the same time. If you learn to confidently handle your bike first, that aspect will be automatic making it easier to concentrate on the all-too-important roadcraft. Like my missus, she finds it difficult to get confident whilst trying to concentrate on avoiding poor drivers, cow shit, diesel, people pulling out of side roads, etc. A clear race track has none of those.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

satnavsteve

I hear what you say.

I just feel that "one on one" advanced rider training on the road is the best way for rookie riders. Out on a track in a group of riders does not teach a rider about bike control other than what you might learn yourself? Or not as the case may be if a riders bike control skills are poor in the first place.

I recommend anyone to have advanced rider training if they are lacking confidence or even just plain scared of their bikes. It was harder for us and yet easier in some ways when I learned to ride. Yeah people jumped straight on a 250cc bike with L plates and no prior riding experience. Imagine RD250s and such like? But then again there was so little bloody traffic back then and any cars on the road were slow. But riding a 250cc bike was a hell of a danger with no prior riding experience at all, not even basic training. You learned fast yourself or..... ?

1970s Bike salesman with fag hanging out of mouth..... "Right, heres your keys, clutch lever is there, throttle is there, thats the front brake and thats the back brake, bring it back when the first service is due...... "

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

HOSBUSA!

Well, I've been a member of the IAM for 33years and spent 4 years as an instructor many years ago. I got my wife to go on the IAM course about 7 years ago but she didn't do the exam at the end of the course because she didn't feel confident to do it and it seems she needs a less stressful way of learning. It took her 5 attempts to pass her bike test, all because of a lack of confidence. Thats why I think that on a track, where she doesn't have the pressures of other traffic, she could concentrate more on just riding her bike. Time will tell.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

@ HOSBUSA

“The basic riding lessons teaches you about how to use the controls properly, track time adds nothing to that compared to actually riding on the roads. A days riding course at the track would not teach anyone about basic controls compared to riding for one whole week on the road which people are capable of doing themselves. People don't ride enough and forget inbteween”

Bollocks. There is a whole lot more to using the controls really well than what is learned in a basic riding course (which will get you around in a fashion). Off the street is the best place to learn things such as trail braking (keeping the suspension in the optimum range), clutch-less shifting (which is easier on the transmission when done properly), smooth but hard braking, and a parking lot is best for slow riding techniques such as brake-torque riding. Screw up on a track, and you have lots of clear run-off space and no cagers to run you over while you are on the ground.

Not to say there are not good on-road classes, but they should be used to compliment off-street training, not as a complete replacement. For the doubters, be a pillion to a really good rider (say BSBK or AMA champion level) and see how much smoother they do everything. Or (this is US centric) listen to what Eric Trow, owner of Stayin' Safe Advanced Rider Training (on road classes) had to say about a track clinic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON4dbdZuOHk

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

I doubt I'd speed  any less, but I am already quite choosy about where I open the taps in order to avoid those awkward "letter in the post" moments. Guess that will have to continue given the number of cameras, vans, SPECS etc. cropping up all over the place. Still, it may help to improve my observation skills. I mean, what I thought was a birth mark on my arse turns out to be a cigar burn. How's about that then? 

Reply to this Topic
loftyjohn

Jun 07

loftyjohn says:

A Puncture!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool