Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Cheap winter riding kit General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Cheap winter riding kit

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Cheap winter riding kit

I can't afford super-expensive winter riding kit, but my cheap all-weather gear leaves me soaked to my pants if I ride for more than 30 minutes in the rain. I can't afford new kit, so what works for less than £50? Are oversuits more effective than waterproofing my kit regularly? Any tips would be great. Your answer could help. The best...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 November 2012 09:35)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Oversuits make a huge difference. Keeping the wind and the wet from your normal suit makes a much bigger difference than just re-waterproofing your kit. Alternatively, heated vests are fantastic.

Reply to this Topic
DrWorm

Jul 11

DrWorm says:

Warm & Dry

Cheap oversuit as already mentioned but get one that fits well or the flapping will drive you insane.

I also recommend thermals from the nation's favourite cheap sports shop.  For £14 you can get top and bottoms and they are toasty warm & at that price if they aren't warm enough for you buy two and layer up. 

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Cheapest?

Bin Bags and String .

Reply to this Topic
dg3007

Apr 08

dg3007 says:

Winter riding kit

One piece waterproof over suit is best bet. Hein Gericke has got 30% off their own brand range at the moment. That puts their basic rain suit well under £50, that will leave you change to get the thermals from the high street sports shop. Nice.

Reply to this Topic
d0nkeychop

May 10

d0nkeychop says:

Forget fabrics

Unless you spend considerable wedge (klim, halvarssons) forget your textiles. Richa rain warrior kit is good value, fits well and unlike a one piece you can keep it on when you're off the bike without feeling like too much of a fashion disaster.

Reply to this Topic
astar0012

Sep 11

astar0012 says:

Trousers

oversuits work well, and for £20 I got some HELD waterproof trousers from get geared got ride magazines best buy, and I can tell you these work had them at motorway speeds in pouring rain, and I kept dry as a bone. Not the warmest trousers though so need some layers underneath

Reply to this Topic
oscarman

Mar 12

oscarman says:

Moove here, it never rains. Problem solved...

Reply to this Topic
cbr9429

Dec 09

cbr9429 says:

+1 for richa

having owned their kit for 4 years i would buy them again. best compromise between value and quality i have come across .a cheap waterproof mac from sports direct or similar works well over your jacket if you want to save a few pounds over a bespoke bike one.

the kit has to keep your warm aswell. if not a newspaper tucked into your jacket down the motorway helps!

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

yeh

Never rains here in Kuwait ,, haaaaa

Reply to this Topic
R30Paul

Jul 08

R30Paul says:

Spada 911 / 912 Combo

I prefer a 2 piece to an all in one...
I have found the water always pools in your lap in a 1 piece... especially if your kness are higher than your lap with ya feet on the peg...
Spada 911 trousers and 912 Jacket have not let me down in 8 yrs - although they are not breathable...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices