Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Cheap winter riding kit General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Cheap winter riding kit

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Cheap winter riding kit

I can't afford super-expensive winter riding kit, but my cheap all-weather gear leaves me soaked to my pants if I ride for more than 30 minutes in the rain. I can't afford new kit, so what works for less than £50? Are oversuits more effective than waterproofing my kit regularly? Any tips would be great. Your answer could help. The best...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 November 2012 09:35)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Oversuits!

You can get an oversuit for about £20 on fleabay. I bought my jacket without armour on ebay for £20 and put in my other jackets armour , bought a set of overtrousers for £20 from halfords and I'm bone dry in the heaviest of showers. You can but an oversuit for around £20 but because mine is the actual bike jacket , it costs more.

Just wear a jumper underneath.

As for boots? I still don't know the secret to them.

Keeping your hands dry really depends on the glovebut I just put the heated grips on with a glove liner and they stay bone dry or , even if they don't such as in a heavy shower , the heat keeps them from freezing.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Budget kit

If you want budget kit that works stay away from a motocycle clothing shop.  The best waterproofs I ever had were a cheap set of Millets own-brand waterproofs made for for walkers.  They lasted for years, folded up small and never leaked.  But a set large enough to go over your usual riding kit and you'll be sorted.     

Reply to this Topic
bob9t9

Dec 05

bob9t9 says:

Garden centres

I agree with MarcusMarsh. Also, garden centres do rubberised clothing that keeps all the rain out. no thermal or crash protection so you still need to wear your bike stuff underneath.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Take up Surfing...

then you can wear a Wetsuit and divide the costs between Two Hobbies

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Hein Geriche

I've had a Hein Geriche overjacket + overtrousers for years which I wore every day through the winter with no issues at all.

both the jacket + trousers cost less than £50, they're unlined but at least I know the leathers I'm wearing underneath them will protect me - I wouldn't want to trust my skin to some cheap rubbish!

I really wouldn't wear anything else - for the money it's sopt on.

Cheers,

Baz

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I wear

Goretex proshell stuff which is brilliant but very steep. If you can save up for it, it's worth it. 

I used to use cheap stuff and I know exactly what you mean. Really if it's advertised as waterproof and it's still within warranty I'd take it back. I did that quite a lot with frank thomas trousers. 

An oversuit with a breathable jacket is a good idea. Get one that's too tight though and it'll quickly get sweaty in there. Also, practice getting it on and off or it'll annoy you greatly if you're in a hurry, for example if you commute and rarely leave yourself enough time to get ready. Like me.

Don't just wear an oversuit on its own. You lose out on armour and abrasion protection from the jacket as well as carrying capacity (pockets, etc) and insulation if it's really cold.

Reply to this Topic
bikerred

May 05

bikerred says:

Johnsons of Leeds army surplus,

Gore tex trousers Bib & Brace £20-25

Gor tex jacket £25.00

buy big enough to cover your normal gear, water does not get through.

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

Sticky backed plastic tape.......

Bin bags,fit em' round ya boots,gloves and get someone to help you to fashion an overcoat from them and not forgetting the trousers of course.

P.S.......You have 2 be wearing some form of clothing underneath,otherwise you'll freeze to death:shock: Oh and use strong bin bags not the crap that tears easily.

Two quid should cover it and glue seams together,securing with staples,if you're careful coat and trousers should last two or three times.

No i'm not joking:tongue:.......Come on MCN, i dare ya to try it out,get someone to fashion a coat and trouser suit out of bin bags and put it to the test.

LOL.......:lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

stressed1....

This is a serious question that deserves a serious answer... "Seriously". Having once been caught in a hell of a storm with no "serious Kit", I managed to "fashion" a "Serious" suit of "serious" weather resistance, using only Bin Bags and String... Seriously! I aint talking Rubbish.

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

Dusty bin

SNEV: I am being serious. Needs must and all that,make do and mend.

If people think this is me being funny then let MCN try this out.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices