Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Cheap winter riding kit General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Cheap winter riding kit

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Cheap winter riding kit

I can't afford super-expensive winter riding kit, but my cheap all-weather gear leaves me soaked to my pants if I ride for more than 30 minutes in the rain. I can't afford new kit, so what works for less than £50? Are oversuits more effective than waterproofing my kit regularly? Any tips would be great. Your answer could help. The best...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 November 2012 09:35)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

hmmmm.........

interesting.....

Reply to this Topic
RICHARD545

Sep 10

RICHARD545 says:

Small ads

We've all been there, done that. Buy cheap, for now! bUT you get what you pay for UNLESS you purchase second hand. There are a lot of motorcyclists giving up (age, change in circumstances.. etc....) and selling good gear on, check the small ads etc... Lotta good gear out there at a fraction of the price...Good luck

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Cheap

Wrap yourself up in this stuff (or similar).

www.maineshipping.com/stretch-wrap.html

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

wet feet

For dry feet, you need SEALSKINZ.....

Reply to this Topic
squidgey

May 09

squidgey says:

Cheap Waterproof kit

After spending hundreds of pounds on jackets and trouser combos that never kept me truly dry, I've found the best bet is layer up with something warm and protective underneath a Held Mistral II jacket and Weise waterproof trousers. Earlier this year I rode up to Cadwell Park from Surrey on my Street Triple in awful weather (thankfully gone in time for the track day) and stayed bone dry despite the downpours. Best 50quid I've spent in ages as it's also kept me nice and dry commuting everyday in this years wonderful wet weather. In all honesty I don't think I'll bother getting expensive 'waterprroof' kit again...apart from decent boots :)

Reply to this Topic
Andy_L

Sep 08

Andy_L says:

Don't agree with Andy949494 at all. A waterproof oversuit for well under £50 can be near 100% effective. I've had a Frank Thomas oversuit for years and it's never leaked. And Frank Thomas are hardly the highest-rated manufacturer out there. Boots and gloves are a bit more of a problem... but I have a friend who buys the cheapest waterproof boots from stalls at race meetings and he never complains about wet feet! I would steer clear of the walking kit. In my experience, what will keep you acceptably dry on a hike in the hills will not keep you acceptably dry riding through the spray of trucks at 70mph on the motorway. And the zips and fasteners may not be sturdy enough to cope with sustained 3-figure wind speeds. One other thing - "breathable" is not necessarily a good feature if you're looking for the most waterproof kit at the cheap end of the market.

Reply to this Topic
iD4VE

Aug 12

iD4VE says:

get what you pay for

With winter riding clobber its a case of you get what you pay for. you may spend a piitance on something that keeps you superbly warm but more than likely you will be freezing your backside off.

Reply to this Topic
oldmanA

Jul 12

oldmanA says:

Used

My local bike shop sells used gear. Some in as new condition.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

Spend out

I've ridden in crap and inapropriate gear. Water rolls off the tank and gathers in your crotch and you spend the rest if the day with wet undies. These days I have a vanucci one piece textile oversuit. Great piece of kit going for 150 notes on louis.de at the moment (half what I paid for mine, grrrr) I commute 365, it's waterproof and repels water from the top layer so it doesn't get soggy, reasonably windproof. Usually wear 2 layers in summer, 3 in winter. CE armour built in, one piece means no gapping, no coming apart in the event of a spill and you can wear normal clothes, ride through torrential rain and peel it off when you get to work. Only complaint is it's not the easiest thing to get in and out of. But i feel very naked if I get on the boke without it.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

$$$

The money you're spending is for your own comfort and safety in a crash. Don't skimp.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices