Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Cheap winter riding kit General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Cheap winter riding kit

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Cheap winter riding kit

I can't afford super-expensive winter riding kit, but my cheap all-weather gear leaves me soaked to my pants if I ride for more than 30 minutes in the rain. I can't afford new kit, so what works for less than £50? Are oversuits more effective than waterproofing my kit regularly? Any tips would be great. Your answer could help. The best...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 November 2012 09:35)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

@ Rotop

Agreed. The more expensive gear (to a point) is a better value (unless you are one of those riders who only takes the bike out on nice summer weekends), as it will last for years, keep you more comfortable (which improves safety), and save more of your hide if you do crash. On longer rides, I typically have $1,500-$2,000 worth of gear on, and I would sacrifice a lot of other things first before settling for less.

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

waterproof gear budget

Any of the TCX goretex boots are brilliant, weiss waterproof over trousers on top of you leathers are excellent. Dont like one piece waterproofs too much faffing about for me. As for jackets there are too many good ones to mention. But my £60 richa jacket over my leather cafe racer jacket does the job in the depth of winter.

Reply to this Topic
benCBR6

Jan 08

benCBR6 says:

Held 4 Touring

This is my first year for proper all season riding since now commuting by bike. I've been really impressed so far with my two-piece Held Textile 4-Touring gear! For the most part it does the job - keeping warm and dry for over an hour on the bike. Beyond that the rain does saturate a bit as it's more water-resistant - rather than fully water proof or GoreTex, particularly at the cuff (perhaps because I wear Dainese Scout GoreTex gloves underneath rather than over the jacket - but they're a really fantastic glove though). By far the best thing for me was that the 2 piece kit cost me less than £400! It fits really well, is very comfy, well made, good armour, and has removable thermal layers in both the trousers and jacket, and also looks the part. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

Reply to this Topic
wynner

Jan 04

wynner says:

wet weather?

This is what we did when caught in a thunderstorm on a Greek island, the locals always do it!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
wynner

Jan 04

wynner says:

where's my picture gone?

:blink::blink:

Reply to this Topic
rascaltrousers

Dec 12

Cheap winter kit

Buffalo jacket winter textile jacket £48 via ebay. Spare Scott jakcet free via freecycle. Padded waterproof overtrousers (over jeans) £20. Fleece neck tube from Boyes £2.99. Spada winter gloves £30 local bike shop. Just started leaking after 7 years. Goretex lined army waterproof socks $10 from Johnsons of Leeds at a bike rally (absolutely brilliant). Grafters work boots £40. Not waterproof (see socks!) but very comfy and durable. Last for years. Thermal underwear bought when i started biking for £10 and very warm. try Boyes for this too. You don't need to spend mega bucks to be warm and dry and commute all year. Best bargain of all was my winter hack, a haotian Ht125 Vixen which cost 33p and does 110 MPG :)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices