Skip to content

Discuss This Michael Laverty to MotoGP in 2013 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Michael Laverty to MotoGP in 2013

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Michael Laverty to MotoGP in 2013

As has been widely rumoured, Michael Laverty has been named on the provisional MotoGP entry list for 2013 in Paul Bird’s British-based squad. Laverty is entered on a PBM machine, which is expected to use an Aprilia motor housed in a chassis designed and built in the UK by GPMS. As was first reported by MCN in mid-October, Bird’s entry on the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 November 2012 22:28)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Rev love, don't get your cassock in a twist..

..We know it's always been this way, you're preaching to the converted. The point is Paul Bird had an opportunity to put some reasonable talent on that bike. Laverty, despite the best intentions in the world, is not that man.

Reply to this Topic
simplebystander

Oct 10

MandyRamola&CHRainmaker - why would it make sense for a promising young talent to go to a fairly uncompetitive class on what would likely be an uncompetitive bike within it? In my opinion, it's far better to get an experienced decent rider to give consistent, though maybe not spectacular results, whilst developing a bike for the future. The young Redding's and the Rea's (though I would debate whether Gino Rea is actually any better than Laverty) of this world are better off showcasing their skills in a competitive series such as Moto2 so they stand a better chance of getting one of the few decent rides left in MotoGP.

Reply to this Topic
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

Hmmm

He has one thing that neither Ellison or Laverty possess, potential. As the adage goes young man, you can teach a young man not to crash young man but you'll never teach him to ride like his arse is on fire, young man. Gresini are powered corporately with HRC at the helm, they demand bucks and are on a different mission B dog. He'd have had to have won at least 5 races and they would probably still have flicked him as he wasn't crisp friendly enough, a quick Google of Go & Fun suggests Spanish baby wear? If this is so I suspect Gino doesn't have too many strollers or romper suits in him either and should be grateful that Fausto doesn't think he'll aid Spanish pottie and rattle sales.

Reply to this Topic
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

Simplebystander

Yes and no. The basis of the bike is the Aprilia WSB machine, hardly shonky wheels, but, also, in actual fact, a finely, finely honed weapon with plenty of capability. As cobbled together as it is it's still a pukka racing bike, fact. It has better brakes and more ultimate grip for less top end, it's not like it was built in a shed in Barnsley. Even Max couldn't use his version fully all of the time in WSB because it was a bit wild as well as being slightly illegal for a while. The bike isn't the problem, the CRT version is a good bike just not a full factory built from scratch GP bike. What it needs is a good rider on it. The good "old" riders are either already committed or not fast enough, the good " young" riders are either already committed or not experienced enough. The bike has to be ridden faster than it is, fact, and an obvious one at that, but very few people will be able to ride it as quick as it needs to be ridden. I'm talking riders who can ride the bike as quick as it needs to go, not them. In my opinion, apart from me obviously, the only British riders right now with the talent and speed to do that are Cal Crutchlow, Scott Redding, Bradley Smith, possibly Danny Kent but skipping at least a whole year of school isn't advisable and possibly also Chaz and Eugene. All the rest are either too slow, retired or dead.

Reply to this Topic
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

Unwedge your tongue Benny

Two different makes of chassis and two different brands of suspension is hardly small beans. The Showa-Ohlins swap has been difficult for every Honda man when they've had to change, witness The Admiral not so long ago. And as you know, swapping chassis can break any man. I stand by my point, as good as Fausto's set up is it still beats to the rhythm of someone else's drum and therein was the problem for young Gino.

Reply to this Topic
akaDan

Nov 11

akaDan says:

PBM

I think it's worth mentioning that the ART bike does not put out the same power as the WSBK Aprilia due to engine life rules. Bear that in mind when you're claiming that no one has currently pushed one as it should be.

Reply to this Topic
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

Must be an Italian thing

Only being able to handle something when it's wet. akaDan: Ta but I think i did.

Reply to this Topic
grayzx7r

Aug 02

grayzx7r says:

He should do Really well then ?

Top 5 in BSB = Top 40 in GP ? With a little luck of course.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

CRT

The CRT's seem to be a somewhat 'Catch 22' class - MR's observation that 'The good "old" riders are either already committed or not fast enough, the good " young" riders are either already committed or not experienced enough'  and that the bike needs to ridden as fast as it can go   means there is no-one left with the level needed to show it's full potential. The quick Brits mentioned by MR would not be interested anyway and presumably neither would the best of Moto2.   The the other possible option of Tommy Hill is a non-starter because of his 1 year sabbatical.   Therefore Birdy had to select the best of what was available i.e. Michael Laverty.

Not going to set the world alight but as RevB said good luck to him he's living his dream.

Reply to this Topic
simplebystander

Oct 10

MR - I would actually have the same standpoint as you IF this were an ART bike that was being discussed - but it's not. It's an Aprilia engine in a PBM chassis (or whoever they have fabricating it). As far as I am aware, this chassis hasn't even turned a wheel yet and is almost certain to be off the pace of the full ART bikes with over a year's worth of development behind them.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices