Skip to content

General Tips for winter riding? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Tips for winter riding?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

YorkshireSheep

Nov 12

Tips for winter riding?

Hi, I've been riding since the summer, recently took my test so now restricted to 33bhp (did the test on my 125 Varadero) 

Basically, planning on continuing to use the bike as my main mode of transport come rain or shine, I've got waterproofs, I've got base layers from doing various sports but would welcome any further advice on riding through winter. 

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 November 2012 14:01)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Seriously

how do "bikers" not ride through the winter?, i still ride a couple of times each week unless snowed in, ok they may not be not long rides but, pop to the bank,quote for a job, see my ma etc, then the bike is used.

I'd go f'ing mental if i had to wait till spring, nothing like a few twisties and a bit of fast filtering to put my sh*t correct :smile

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

Warm water....

.....has a negative effect mixed with road salt, it increases the ability of the salt to eat your bike, use only COLD water. ACF50 is fantastic stuff, I've been using it for a few years and if it's good enough for military aircraft on aircraft carriers at sea, it's good enough for my bike. (its what the military use to stop the sea salt eating the planes)
Fairy liquid has salt base in it so don't use that or truck wash.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

If I got my bike out now

even if I could physically, within 15 mins I would no longer be able to change gear, use a back break or let on/off the throttle.

I have no feeling in any of my digits to the point I am losing them both fingers and toes.  So each year I lose a bit more of both to the point of ending up with stumps.

Toes have nearly gone. 

So I have enjoyed my riding over the years and still can get rid of chicken strips fairly quickly!! Done competitive riding and can still hold my own on a good day but some of us no matter how much we would like (and we would like) we are physically not able to anymore

So for some people due to finances or whatever we've had to make the choice.  Sometimes people can and sometimes people can't.  But for me disabilities say I can't

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Fair do's baby

but i really do go nuts if i don't ride, true story

Rode today and will ride to the gym on sunday, tis soul therapy for me :smile

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I daresay it is

and for me who doesn't have the constraints of work it is very hard seeing a very nice MV sat in the gararge, especially on a day like today.  But I love my bike and each year I never know whether it;s going to be my last, so yes I used to ride all year round and yes I would still do it but some people berate before they know.

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Oh...balls.

So just cold water (nothing else added to it), then spray ACF on afterwards and leave to dry? 

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

I'm not berating baby,i can understand

your frustrating predicament, but this is the god's honest truth, i really can't remember the last time i got off a bike and thought, i wish i'd taken a cage,and i i've riden in some horrendous conditions :smile

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I wouldn't want

to take dogs out in the morning off road even if it was posssible:shock:  2 of them on the back is just wrong:lol:

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Babyblade:

I know what you mean mate.   Some "purists" just love to rub people's noses in it,  and also want a medal, for riding throughout the year.

Personally, I don't ride when it's pissing down and freezing cold very much, because I don't enjoy it a lot.   Since I've no real need for a bike at all, there's no call to ride in such conditions.

When the weather is reasonable, I don't mind riding on any day of the year, at least for shortish trips (to keep the practice in).  There can be nice days even in December and January.

Back in the day,  I used to travel 250 miles to college on a dodgy 2-stroke with no fairing, no heated grips, fairly primitive clothing right at the start of January,  with snow, slush, ice and hail all round.   It was an absolute bastard.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

zanderh

if you've already applied the ACF then just rinse with cold water to remove the salt.

Worth also degreasing and relubing your chain from time to time, as water dispersing winter wet lubes hold crud on the chain which can shorten drive chain life.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices