Skip to content

General Tips for winter riding? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Tips for winter riding?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

YorkshireSheep

Nov 12

Tips for winter riding?

Hi, I've been riding since the summer, recently took my test so now restricted to 33bhp (did the test on my 125 Varadero) 

Basically, planning on continuing to use the bike as my main mode of transport come rain or shine, I've got waterproofs, I've got base layers from doing various sports but would welcome any further advice on riding through winter. 

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 November 2012 14:01)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

Thank the Lord Slow

I don't feel like a total misfit.

When I was younger I never thought anything of it, but as the problem took hold it got less and less.  I get fed up of people banging on about how they ride all year.  Even if I could I wouldn't not now.  But I don't have a problem for people who do.  You pays your money and it's your choice as I see it and let those who can/want to then fine and those who can't/don't want to fine

No problemo:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Ha, SlowLearner

"Back in the day, I used to travel 250 miles to college"

"fairly primitive clothing right at the start of January, with snow, slush, ice and hail all round".

same as but 100 mls on a CD175, young and stupid then, older and stupid now :wink:

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

I have

followed the car tyre tracks in the snow and had to get off the bike and warm my hands on the exhaust because i couldn't even pull the clutch in due to frozen hands.......Then I discovered cars, wonderful invention for this time of year :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Aha ok.

So do a proper wash (with bike cleaner or some such) then ACF it. Then just water down to remove crap and respray? Proper wash every now and then followed by a respray just to make sure. I currently live in a block of flats so have to lug a bucket of water up and down the stairs whenever I want to wash her.

I re-lube my chain nearly every time I get home in the evening as well - maybe once every two days or so

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Pick...

your days carefully....remember it's what's under the contact patch on you tyres as well as what you are wearing.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"respray?"

shouldn't need it that often, if at all, if you do, then a proper degrease and reapply the ACF :smile

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

True oldish

and your tyres will be struggling to hold any heat.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

You asked

for tips on control etc?

Mostly, ensure everything is smooth. Use the engine for accelerating and braking as much as you can as that'll smooth things out. If you're still on a 125 this may be trickier but is still possible. If your bike is jerky on and off the throttle, use plenty of clutch to smooth this out.

Watch out for snow dumped off the back of cars because the drivers are selfish c**ts.

Watch out for grit where the gritter gets stopped, such as on the approach / entry to roundabouts, junctions, in the middle of the road.... anywhere really.

This isn't the time for full throttle and riding a motorcycle in winter is barely any fun.

Get a brighter headlamp and ideally a louder horn. Stebel Magnums are good. Nautilus is amazing. People will not see you. People are stupid. People are also arseholes who will see you and do the stupid, c**tish thing anyway. FUCKERS!

Make sure your tyre pressures are correct. They'll drop as will your ability to control the bike as the temperature drops.

If it's icy then you have a couple of options - if it's patchy ice that you can see, you should be okay. If it's black ice and there could be sheets of the stuff then just don't bother.

Good control means you have to keep your hands warm. You'd be amazed at how good muffs are for keeping your hands warm. However, when you're on the bike handlebar muffs are what you want - it's a pain positioning them so they don't get in the way of things but when they're on, they're brilliant. You can usually get away with gloves that are suitable in autumn time when it's well into minus figures outside.

If your road isn't gritted, get yourself a bag of grit and if it getse really icy or snowy, put down a nice 6" thick line from your house to the end of the road, if possible. You may have to mark it so you don't miss it. I recommend using markers made out of toilet roll, soaked in meth or some other flammable shit and set alight. Takes a while to get going but you'll feel like a proper stunt rider going through them. Note, put something underneath them or you'll get done for the cost of resurfacing the road...

If you can get a visor insert like a pinlock, get it. Otherwise anti fog wipes are good.

Get a clean cloth that you can use on your visor - be careful though as the salt shit can get on the visor and really scratch it if you rub hard. Fantastic for when the greasy shit gets thrown up and you've got a minute at traffic lights. Either mount a pouch on your handlebars for this, use a tank bag with small pockets or find a hivi of some kind with pockets.

Oh and you know those things used by fire eaters that don't seem to go out? Get those and stick em on the bar end weights. You'll get noticed when people see fire coming towards them.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Good post phil

also if you're riding on snow covered back roads and it's freezing, keep off the car tyre tracks and stay on the fresh snow, the snow will give better grip than frozen tyre tracks.:wink:

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Yorkshire Sheep...

Keep warm and enjoy your winter riding,.....:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle