You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > pilot jet

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mickh13

Aug 09

mickh13 says:

pilot jet

Evening all.My DR200 has become a right bitch to start from cold in the recent cold weather.It is an american import and from viewing the forums over there,this appears to be a common problem due to it being set to run lean from the factory.One solution seems to be putting a larger pilot jet in.Does this theory make sense and if so,how bigger a jet should i put in?Mine is a#35 and they appear to increase in size by 2.5 a time.Cheers,Mick.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 November 2012 20:38)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki DR 200 Year?

Hi Mickh13

Am thinkin you have another problem,not a re-jetting problem,if you are trying to start the bike in the morning from cold with the choke fully pulled then it should be getting a rich enough mixture to start as the choke will over ride the pilot jet on start up to some extent.So with not knowing the history of your particular bike,i would probably start with a plug change,reset the tappets,then carb clean,checking for in particular  water in the fuel,and don't forget that air filter.By the way just thought i would mention that a 35 pilot jet is much bigger than the 25 pilot jet fitted in the UK market bikes,so another reason to think your problem lays somewhere else.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cold start

Does your choke/starter jet work?

Is the airfilter standard?

Have you checked carb to engine intake for air leaks?

What colour is the spark plug?

Is the pilot jet partly blocked?

Is the pilot mixture screw (either air or fuel) set for correct mixture?

Can you blip the throttle without any hesitation when warm?

Reply to this Topic
mickh13

Aug 09

mickh13 says:

cold start.

Thanks for the replies lads.This morning i bunged up the airbox intake holes with a cloth and it started 3rd press of the button, rather than the two dozen tries required recently.Air filter is new and standard,plug is new and a lovely tan colour,no water in fuel,throttle blips easily once warm.I tested for air leaks by spraying WD40 on inlet stub and got no change in engine speed,so presume that is ok.As regards choke working,don't know for sure.Tappets are on my too do list.Bike is a 1996.Prior to the cold snap,it would start from cold 2nd press of the button without choke.What are the potential bad effects of upjetting the pilot,if any?Cheers,Mick.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

choke

From what you say your pilot jet is more than enough if you can cold start it without choke in mild weather.

If the choke/starter jet has not been used for a while or the bike has not been used for a while it could be partly blocked with rotten fuel.  

Is your air intake sealed and only air flowing through the air filter?

Just remembered are you moving and holding the throttle when starting ? This can bypass the choke.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki DR 200 Year 1996

Hi again

As Jaffa90 says if the bike was starting OK before the cold without the choke its definitely getting enough fuel to start,so going through the trouble of purchasing a bigger pilot jet(what size would you think of going to?)and stripping the carb to fit it,why not first try cleaning the carb and all the jets including the choke.All depends on weather you what to fix the problem or put a band aid on it?often the band aid if the way folk will go as it saves money and you could get another year out of the bike without doing the proper repair. I know people who buy a can of easy start every six weeks,a wee spray in the air box gets the bike goin so why pay or do a repair when this method does the trick?You get my meaning.I often find with single cylinder four strokes of this type and age,will suffer low compression due to tight or badly adjusted tappets,if setting them doesn't up the compression then it probably needs the valves grinding in as there not sealing and making good enough compression to fire the mixture(rich or weak).So its up to you really repair or band aid?:smileGood Luck

Reply to this Topic
mickh13

Aug 09

mickh13 says:

carb cleaning

All good points.May i ask for a few pointers on carb cleaning. Cheers,Mick.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki DR 200 Year 1996

Hi again

Couple of questions?you say.

Air filter is new and standard,plug is new and a lovely tan colour,no water in fuel,

Did you replace the air filter yourself? if so did you oil it up?if not has it got foam type air filter oil on it?

You say no water in fuel,how do you know this if your asking for tips on how to strip and clean the carb?

The reason i point this out is i don't what you to start stripping thing if you don't know what your doing and have yourself a bike that's in bits which you can't us.As i said before there could be water and debris in the carb float bowl which could have come from the fuel tank(if a metal one not plastic)or from a service station that has a contaminated fuel tank.So first thing is to drain the float bowl into a clean container to establish there is or isn't contaminant in the fuel and carb float bowl(drain screw next to over flow pipe).Then your best way so as not to get to carried away would be to turn the fuel off and pull off the fuel pipe at the carb,loosen the screws on both clamps on the carb rubber manifold and the air filter connection,turn the carb on its side so you can now get at the four Phillips head screws holding the float bowl on.If you remove these you will then gain access to the float and jets,remove the float by pulling the retaining pin,the float will come away with the float valve needle,with these removed you now have access to the jets,with a thin flat blade screw driver unscrew the pilot jet,with a std flat blade screw driver you can remove the main jet.You can leave them soaking in carb cleaner for fifteen minutes or so then blow them out with a air line before replacing,reverse the procedure making sure not to damage or force anything.If in doubt take it to professional,Good Luck

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices