Skip to content

Ask an Expert Tank bag (non magnetic?) Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Tank bag (non magnetic?)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

albundy123

Dec 12

albundy123 says:

Tank bag (non magnetic?)

Hi, I'm thinking of going on some camping trips next year (assuming we have better weather than this year!) I have soft luggage i.e.tail pack & panniers, but I was thinking of maybe getting a tank bag. I don't want to spend stupid money on a bag that might only get used a couple of times a year. My problem is that I have a Triumph sprint, which has a plastic tank. 99% of tank bags are mag mount & if you want a bag with straps the price seems to rocket! Would it be possible to buy a cheaper magnetic bag & fix it with webbing straps or bungees? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Ta :smiley:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 December 2012 12:25)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

tank bag

The magnetic tank bags tend to have bungee points in addition to the magnetic undersurface. It would just be a matter of finding somewhere suitable to stick the bungees. 

I have a buffallo tank bag and it is great. The first bike I owned had a plastic tank. With the "sticky" plastic undersurface, bungees and a strap that can go round the headstock it stays fairly anchored. 

Reply to this Topic
albundy123

Dec 12

albundy123 says:

tank bag

Ta for that 'teamwindsor'. There's loads of magnetic bags on ebay that are considerably cheaper than strap on bags,but I was a bit dubious about bidding in case I end up with something I can't use. I was actually looking at a buffalo bag, brand new £25, seems like a pretty good price

Reply to this Topic
Hellosailor

Dec 12

Hellosailor says:

Magnetic Tankbag

Just as a side to this topic. I have just purchased a small magnetic tank bag, for travel documents etc when touring. Does anyone know if the magnets affect credit cards and/or phone sim cards. As the last thing I will need whilst on tour is to have these items wiped.

Looking forward to all replies, thanks.

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Lidls

have them quite often.

I got one years ago and used it the first time in September for a France trip. Magnetic and straps, so it did the job on the ZX12 which also has a plastic tank cover. I put some wonder web under it first to protect the paintwork.

I think the bag was about £15.

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

tank bag

Also, keep an eye on fleabay, for a used baglux tank cover and bag. Expensive new, but they are good, and will protect the tank from scratches etc. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices