Skip to content

General Am I slowly running my bike into the ground? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Am I slowly running my bike into the ground?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

newrider1985

Jun 12

newrider1985 says:

Am I slowly running my bike into the ground?

Hi all, as usual I have been follow the forum for a while but am only now getting around to saying hi because I need some help so for this I apologise...

I have been experiencing intermittent problems with my Yamaha Virago XV250S for about the last 6 weeks now. The first thing to go was the battery. After a particularly cold weekend the bike refused to start on the Monday morning and the battery died. Once the AA had arrived the very helpful man had a little look over the bike and pointed out that the chain was way to loose. He showed me what I needed to do to adjust this and after he replaced the battery he went on his way. The following weekend I had a go at adjusting the chain, which I could only get either too tight or too loose. I made small adjustments over the next few weekends to enable me to continue to commute into work without it coming off and killing me. Anyway, over the past two weeks the bike has been intermittently losing power! In low to mid-range revs it would feel almost like something was blocked? The engine sounded relatively normal but none of the power was getting to the back wheel.

So I took it into my local garage who quoted me £150 to replace the chain and sprockets. I managed to source my own chain and sprockets from wemoto which reduced the bill to £50 labour plus parts supplied by me (£68). I also explained the power loss issue I was experiencing and they suggested a full service at an additional £150. I don’t think the bike needs a full service as oil etc. looks fine. When they were fitting the new chain they checked the spark plugs for me which were knackered so they replaced them, checked over the rest of the bike which they said was all fine and sent me on my way.

For 15 miles or so the bike felt better than ever. Nice and smooth thanks to the new chain and sprocket and power delivered nicely. However after 15 miles or so the power loss returned, albeit not as badly as before. I was nearly at my place of work so once in the car park; I left the bike running for a few minutes whilst I starred at it intently. After the bike settled it started to idle pretty slowly. Whilst holding the bike vertically I could hear and feel the bike (presumably from the spark plugs?) sort of popping as if they were sparking but not holding. I revved the bike a little and it returned to normal.

So my question is, am I slowly running the bike into the ground? it is my first and i have owned it since passing my test in July of this year. it is a V reg (1999) 250 with just under 16,000 on the clock, 3,000 of which are mine. I do about 30 miles a day commuting into central London.

Any helpful suggestions or comments welcome! Sorry about the essay and if this is in the wrong place.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 December 2012 11:40)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
newrider1985

Jun 12

newrider1985 says:

Thanks guys

Hi all,

I will have a look around it at the weekend, see if any of the filters etc need replacing. I have only used the bike twice sense it had the Spark plugs changed so dont have anything else to report at the moment. I do have a Haynes for it and there are loads of helpful vids on youtube so will do some more investigating!

Hawk750 - Beckenham is reasonably local to me so if need be and a full service is required I will give them a call!

Many thanks all and I hope you have a nice weekend!

newrider

Reply to this Topic
newrider1985

Jun 12

newrider1985 says:

Update

Hi all,

Apologies for the lack of an update, the bike and I were recovering after a car pulled out in front of us. Long story short (I'll write the long version in a new post when it is all settled re the insurance) bike was written off as a cat d, it has been repaired and MOT'd and is now back on the road!

So I have done about 60 miles this week on it, first 30 odd where fine, which is against what i was expecting as the bike has been sitting around doing nothing for the past 6 weeks. Today it has been about as smooth as a bucket of rusty nails. Along with the previous symptoms, it has now developed a "pop". It sounds like when you pop those bubbles on packaging, only much louder, and coming from the engine, maybe exhaust? It still feels strangled and is lacking in power.

What you guys think? 

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Was it

a non standard exhaust that was fitted? If it was it could be the cause of power problems and rough running. That said, rough running can be caused by the cold. I've never had a bike that was happy in these temperatures.

As for the car, you must sue for personal injury and damage to the bike and your equipment. Must. Don't be brave. That way you have funds to replace the bike or fix it up if you find any horrible damage to it like a bent frame which wasn't seen at first.. Even if it has been a while you can still start proceedings. I also recommend installing a high energy plasma based weapon onto the front of your motorcycle to prevent this happening again. Strange how people miss motorcycles but when it has a giant gun on it......

Sorry, I'm pissed.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

did you do...

any of the jobs that were suggested? ie.buying an Haynes manual,looking at the air filter or even checking if the plugs are actually fitted correctly or the right rating.New plugs doesn't always mean that they are good ones.It could be contaminated fuel,crap in carbs blocked breathers.Give it a good look over this week-end.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Electrical Issues?

Viragos suffer from poor electrics (my old XV535 has spent three years decaying in the garage waiting for me to get off my arse and get a new loom and rectifier). Remember an MOT is only testing for road-worthiness, not how well it runs. You still need to service the bike and if it hasn't been serviced in well over 3k miles then you need to get it done!

Having said that Viragos are a great bike to learn the basics on with regards to self-servicing so I would suggest finding a garage that doesn't mind you watching on as it gets serviced. Next time you'll know what to do yourself. I am sure a good service should find the cause of the power loss and I'd bet it actually comes down to some corroded electrics or a dodgy rectifier.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
newrider1985

Jun 12

newrider1985 says:

Exhaust, Haynes, Rectifier etc

Thanks for the quick response guys.

It is a nonstandard exhaust, but it’s only a couple of years old and still looks to me to be in very good condition. The bike came with a fair amount of history and the exhaust replacement is a part of it. Off the top of my head I think it was purchased from wemoto. How do I check to see if the exhaust is the source of the problems? Wouldn't this have come up in the MOT test? I am also certain I need to adjust the throttle cable as well as it idles very very slowly.

The woman who pulled out on me blamed me at the scene and, in front of the police, accused me of speeding. I was only traveling at about 15-20 mph at the time on an A road. To me, she has therefore admitted that she saw me coming but pulled across my path anyway, so hopefully will be convicted for careless driving at the least. Currently receiving acupuncture to the shoulder and leg via her insurance company, after mine squashed her counter claim against me immediately. Here's the controversial part - I'm insured with MCE and they have been nothing short of excellent so far.

Sorry Old(ish)git, should have updated that as well. I have a Haynes manual now, air filter is fine, plugs look fine, but have bought another load to swap this weekend along with an oil and oil filter change. How do I determine if the fuel is contaminated? I am also unsure of what to do with the carbs and breather tubes?

DazLoczy - The rectifier definitely needs replacing, when the battery died around November, the AA man who sorted it tested it and said it will need replacing after winter. I thought it only charged the battery? Also, after the crash, the kill switch is very temperamental. If I turn the engine off using it I have to continuously flick the switch till I can turn the engine over. Again, how can I diagnose if it is what is affecting the engine?

Going to get my hands dirty this weekend so all/any advice is gratefully received!

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

newrider...

it won't be the exhaust...it wouldn't suddenly start playing up after 2 years....start with one of these.

reg/rec

Reply to this Topic
newrider1985

Jun 12

newrider1985 says:

Rectifier

Ordered a relpacement rectifier today, should be here in a week or two.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

bike repairs

as suggested, get a haynes manual, do lil jobs, by a few tools as you go.  I replaced wheel bearings on my zzr and the bike shop failed it, so i appealed (took rear wheel in, and asked them to check to the bearings, i know it was 100% as I done it myself..came home, put rear wheel back on, rode bike back to shop for an MOT certificate..sorry, but there are some really bad mot examiners out there..some good ones and they dont like it when they get found out...

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi again

First off I hope you are not too badly injured.

Second, who repaired the bike?

Third, (This is how I would personally approach things now.) As the bike (and this is how I read your post) was repaired by an approved repairer on behalf of the womans insurance company. I would be pushing for them to get the bike running correctly, if necessary get your solicitor to sort this on your behalf with the other insurance company. 

My reason for this is that as the bike suffered a hard impact there is no telling which components have been affected by this impact and as far as you are concerned the bike was in perfect running order prior to the accident.

Fourth, the non-standard exhaust will effect the engine in as much as it could possible unbalance the engine and result in weak/rich mixture (this will either cause 'pop' through carbs weak mixture or 'pop through exhaust rich mixture) cause flat spots as the throttle is taken through its range from closed to fully opened.

Thanks for taking the time to post an update, you wouldn't believe how many cannot be bothered.

Ride Safe.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices