Skip to content

General Am I slowly running my bike into the ground? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Am I slowly running my bike into the ground?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

newrider1985

Jun 12

newrider1985 says:

Am I slowly running my bike into the ground?

Hi all, as usual I have been follow the forum for a while but am only now getting around to saying hi because I need some help so for this I apologise...

I have been experiencing intermittent problems with my Yamaha Virago XV250S for about the last 6 weeks now. The first thing to go was the battery. After a particularly cold weekend the bike refused to start on the Monday morning and the battery died. Once the AA had arrived the very helpful man had a little look over the bike and pointed out that the chain was way to loose. He showed me what I needed to do to adjust this and after he replaced the battery he went on his way. The following weekend I had a go at adjusting the chain, which I could only get either too tight or too loose. I made small adjustments over the next few weekends to enable me to continue to commute into work without it coming off and killing me. Anyway, over the past two weeks the bike has been intermittently losing power! In low to mid-range revs it would feel almost like something was blocked? The engine sounded relatively normal but none of the power was getting to the back wheel.

So I took it into my local garage who quoted me £150 to replace the chain and sprockets. I managed to source my own chain and sprockets from wemoto which reduced the bill to £50 labour plus parts supplied by me (£68). I also explained the power loss issue I was experiencing and they suggested a full service at an additional £150. I don’t think the bike needs a full service as oil etc. looks fine. When they were fitting the new chain they checked the spark plugs for me which were knackered so they replaced them, checked over the rest of the bike which they said was all fine and sent me on my way.

For 15 miles or so the bike felt better than ever. Nice and smooth thanks to the new chain and sprocket and power delivered nicely. However after 15 miles or so the power loss returned, albeit not as badly as before. I was nearly at my place of work so once in the car park; I left the bike running for a few minutes whilst I starred at it intently. After the bike settled it started to idle pretty slowly. Whilst holding the bike vertically I could hear and feel the bike (presumably from the spark plugs?) sort of popping as if they were sparking but not holding. I revved the bike a little and it returned to normal.

So my question is, am I slowly running the bike into the ground? it is my first and i have owned it since passing my test in July of this year. it is a V reg (1999) 250 with just under 16,000 on the clock, 3,000 of which are mine. I do about 30 miles a day commuting into central London.

Any helpful suggestions or comments welcome! Sorry about the essay and if this is in the wrong place.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 December 2012 11:40)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
newrider1985

Jun 12

newrider1985 says:

babyrocket

Thanks for the encouragement, it is very appreciated!

Do you think it would be wise to attempt to replace the inlet hose at the same time? Seeing as I will have to take the tank off to do the ignition coils?

Any tips re removing the tank?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Remove tank

...make sure you siphon the fuel into a jerry can first!:lol:

Seriously, I know people who wouldn't even think of doing this and would end up covered in petrol, which you don't want when working with an ignition source!

If your bike is like my 535 it has a fuel tap which you can use to help siphon off the fuel. Turn it off, unplug the fuel line, stick it in the jerry can and let it flow.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Rectifier

Yes it charges the battery but if this is faulty then it can cause power-loss etc.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

newrider...

it looks a bit of a plumbers nightmare under them virago tanks.

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

taking the tank off,

once the seat is off you will clearly see a 10/12mm spanner sized bolt where the tank meets the seat, undo this then lift the tank upwards not sure if this bike has a balance pipeon the tank, dont worry its only a little pipe that ensures both cylinders get a feed of equal size from the tank, they can be a bugger to free from the nipple they are on, so expect a bit of a struggle getting it off, i usually use a very small blunt screw driver blade to push into the pipe then twisting motion to free it, as some body else mentioned try to get as much fuel out of the tank as you can via the fuel tap, once the fuel pipes is free lift the tank and gently drag it towards the back of the bike, if its been on for a long time it might feel a little tight,be patient and give it a good yank towards the rear, it should then be free ,place it somewhere out of the way and then follow from the plug end the black lead to its terminal, usually a black circular thing with two or three wires connected , they are colour coded so you shouldnt really get them mixed up, have fun mate, it sounds difficult but once you get going it will soon be second nature, when putting the tank back on put a little smear of some silicone grease on the tank bungs, it helps when pushing it back into place, good luck mate and if ya get stuck pm and i will give you my phone number and i can run it by you by better way of explanation.

Reply to this Topic
newrider1985

Jun 12

newrider1985 says:

To Do List

Thanks guys, (babyrocket, you may live to regret that offer!)

So my to do list is:

Replace Ignition Coils (Ordered)

Replace Inlet Hose (Delivered)

Replace Rectifier (Ordered)

Service inc plugs & filters

Going to be a fun weekend when this goes down.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for all your help/suggestions

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices