Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: How far is 'too far' to ride in a day? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: How far is 'too far' to ride in a day?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: How far is 'too far' to ride in a day?

How far is too far? We're aware here at MCN HQ that some of you use your bikes for the daily commute of only a few miles, while others might make a holiday on two wheels, covering thousands of miles in only a few weeks. We've got all sorts here, from the road testers who ride as far as Africa to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 December 2012 15:33)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

500 miles

Somewhere between 400 and 500 miles and my concentration requires effort. Any more than that and I'm just playing roulette. Also it depends on the roads. 500 miles is motorway miles. If it's all normal roads then I want to do less.

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

Depends

Depends on what type roads and conditions. When riding abroad, I find 200-400 mile a day max, which gives plenty of time to explore and experience local culture.

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

Its relative

Its really relative to many factors,,, the bike you own, your riding style, how accustomed you are  to the mileage.  Ive regularly done over 800 miles in one hit (stopping for fuel and a 20 minute lunch break) in a day and that on a litre sports.  But I know of wing riders who cover over 1000 miles with little problem.  Too far is when you arent able to ride to the same safe level you normally do, or what is reasonable for the circumstances at the time, regardless of mileage, whether it be 100 miles or 1000.

Reply to this Topic
staib

Dec 12

staib says:

My longest ride was to the Alps last Autumn. 540 miles on a 125cc VanVan with only 20 of them on m-way. Plenty of short stops (every 100 miles). We intended to stop overnight, but the thought of another full day on Alpine trails made us keep going :)

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

miles

When the pillion cries "ENOUGH". Usually 450 miles is about the limit.

A regular ride out of mine is approx 360 miles. But there are breaks on the way.

Reply to this Topic
speedy231278

Jun 10

speedy231278 says:

Is there such a thing?  Legally, if you didn't need to stop for fuel it would be 1680.... lol

Reply to this Topic
wilcon76

Dec 12

wilcon76 says:

Too far.

It is not the distance that is the issue. It is time. If you are on tight technical roads 100 miles may be too much. If I am riding the highway, maybe 600, 700 who knows. I have done 720 in one day. Mostly all highway for travel. I have ridden 4 hours and covered only 150 miles but they were glorius and fun.

Reply to this Topic
englishuser

Jul 07

englishuser says:

None of the above. I wouldn't recommend 1000 miles in a day even though I've done it but 850 is reasonably achievable.

Reply to this Topic
frenchy63

Dec 12

frenchy63 says:

More than far enough!!!

Two of us rode from London to St Anton in the Austrian Alps (750 miles) in a day, I was on a 1098s. We left at 6am and arrived at 9pm on a dry day mostly auto routes, boring I know but the plan was to get there asap and spend time doing things like the Stelvio Pass, Mountains in general, The Black Forest and the Nurburgring on the way back stopping at the Bikerloft hotel in Belgium on the last night. 5 days in total covering around 1750 miles....was a great experience but next time on something with a bit more padding!!!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Silly Top Trumps question

Ride until you you're not enjoying it any more and then stop.  Every rider, every bike, and every trip is different.  You don't actually win a prize for pushing on with your arse clenched tighter than in a prison shower.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices