Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: How far is 'too far' to ride in a day? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: How far is 'too far' to ride in a day?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: How far is 'too far' to ride in a day?

How far is too far? We're aware here at MCN HQ that some of you use your bikes for the daily commute of only a few miles, while others might make a holiday on two wheels, covering thousands of miles in only a few weeks. We've got all sorts here, from the road testers who ride as far as Africa to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 December 2012 15:33)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Fixer

Aug 02

Fixer says:

Too Far - get out of here.

No distance is too far unless you either come to the end of the road at a cliff top or you run out of time.

Reply to this Topic
HF_ZX10r

Dec 07

HF_ZX10r says:

NumBum

It all depends on the bike, the roads and your ability. I did 500 miles on a ZX10r over two consecutive days and damaged by back and my wrists to the point where I didn’t want to get back on the bike after a fuel stop at about the 400 mile point.
However, I recently did 800 miles on a ZZr1400 over 2 days and was none the worse for wear the next day, apart from being a little tired.
On my XT660x, which I normally use to commute, the only point of discomfort will come from the seat after about 3 hours, apart from that you could ride it all day.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

My commute

Is 100 miles each way, sometimes that does feel like "too far", especially on the motorway. But when the weather is nice it's nice to take a little longer and put in some twisties on the way home and on those days doing over 100 miles back home doesn't seem long enough!

Reply to this Topic
kentuckey

Aug 02

kentuckey says:

No limit

There is no set limit its what you feel safe with, how you feel after 10hrs in the saddle is dependent on how youve set your bike up (high bars, low pegs, comfort seat and kit etc.)  Its also very important to keep warm during the night time part of the ride, either more layers of clothes or if you find that too restrictive a good electric powered body warmer.

I once did 1000+ miles in a day in the U.K. it took me 20 hrs but acording to my satnav stats I was moving for only 14hrs. At the end of the ride I felt great, and not tired at all. Its important to keep yourself hydrated during long rides food is not as important as liquids but not any liquid tea & coffee are a no no best drink is water or a good Isotonic drink that will replenish your body salts and sugers.

So the answer to the question is ?

Reply to this Topic
nigelg79

Jun 12

nigelg79 says:

Get some rest

Couple of years ago I rode from Newcastle to the Sachsenring for the GP on my SV1000S. About 3,000 miles in all over 6 days of riding. I could have done without the last day to be honest, my final fill up was an ordeal! A lot depends on the roads and riding conditions, just make sure you get plenty of rest both during and in between journeys, and as been mentioned already keep hydrated. Game on though, just keep riding baby!

Reply to this Topic
Big_Boomer

Oct 05

Big_Boomer says:

pointless question

This is far to personal a question. Everyone will have a different answer and even for them it will change every day. Ask someone that after they just did an Ironbutt SS1000 for the first time and they swear they will never do it again. Ask them after their 5th and they will ask if they can do it again tomorrow. I've done 1050 miles in 18hrs and was fine at the end thanks to planning and a Russell DayLong saddle. On other days I've done 200 miles and been completely knacked out at the end. In fact my old 60 mile commute was enough to mentally and physically wipe me out most days what with 10+miles of filtering and the usual plethora of cage-morons.

Reply to this Topic
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

Blimey there's always one 2,thousand mile days.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

How far is too far? 50 miles past where you are meant to be going! Wow, I'm on fire today! Well, ask a silly question! Winger, I think you meant to say 2 one thousand mile days. Sorry, just my sense of humour.

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

as far asposs

till i have to stop for fuel, then carry on

Reply to this Topic
no1toprider

Aug 02

no1toprider says:

Distance riding

Lands End to John o Groats, 900+ miles in 18 hours, followed by 550 miles home the next day was ok, several peole ride it every year with no problems.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices