Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: How far is 'too far' to ride in a day? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: How far is 'too far' to ride in a day?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: How far is 'too far' to ride in a day?

How far is too far? We're aware here at MCN HQ that some of you use your bikes for the daily commute of only a few miles, while others might make a holiday on two wheels, covering thousands of miles in only a few weeks. We've got all sorts here, from the road testers who ride as far as Africa to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 December 2012 15:33)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
clarkson2197fsworldcouk

Feb 04

Barcalona

My mate and i did Kings lynn to Barcalona in a day or around 17hrs on our ST1300s on our way to Valencia MGP ! 4 years ago , not a cloud in the sky brilliant BUT Boy never again 1,032 miles

Reply to this Topic
Mikey916

Mar 09

Mikey916 says:

depends on what your riding

A mate and I rode from Tours in France to Norwich in one day...thats around 520 miles not including the ferry (from 8am to 3 am the next day). That might not sound much miles until I say that the bikes were two C90's doing 40mph....though we had rode from norwich to Africa and back on them.

Reply to this Topic
Discopoo

Sep 12

Discopoo says:

About 20 miles

Any further and I can't beat the rain home?

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

500 miles plus

500 miles ok depending on the bike and the roads, north Wales to Bandol was a bit of hard work in the late 80's while going to the Bol two up on a KLR 600 :)

Reply to this Topic
irishmanabroad

Dec 12

gotta love the open road

If you have been fed up for more than an hour, its time to stop. I have ridden from Belfast to Murcia "non stop", but had time out on the ferry from rosslare to pembroke and on the ferry from portsmouth to santander. Not reaqlly sure how far it is, but two nights, three days start to finish. Too cold in Wales, too hot in Murcia but overall about as much fun as you can have on your own. If i had a gel seat and 1" bar risers i woud be doing it again tomorrow !

Reply to this Topic
hillfish

May 10

hillfish says:

totally depends on..

totally depends on the bike, the roads, the weather conditions, what condition you're in (!) and what time you set off - if all is well and you set off earlyish about 400-500 is max if you also want to stop some places and enjoy the travel, 100-150 miles at a time between coffee, meals etc, if you just need to get there 500 is still about max, especially if you have to do it again the next day by which time it becomes endurance riding. i found it soon catches up with you after a few days and you can get totally burnt out (also easier if you start off without a hangover and get decent night's sleep!!)

Reply to this Topic
busterrabbit

Sep 12

busterrabbit says:

it depends

It depends on lots of factors, not least yourself.  We all have good days and bad days, sometimes riding (or doing anything else) seems to come easier than others.  If you're conscious of making mistakes or misjudging situations, or feel tired, then you probably should have stopped already.  Take a break and you'll probably enjoy the rest of your trip more as well as being safer.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle