Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: How far is 'too far' to ride in a day? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: How far is 'too far' to ride in a day?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: How far is 'too far' to ride in a day?

How far is too far? We're aware here at MCN HQ that some of you use your bikes for the daily commute of only a few miles, while others might make a holiday on two wheels, covering thousands of miles in only a few weeks. We've got all sorts here, from the road testers who ride as far as Africa to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 December 2012 15:33)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hyabusa1340

Apr 11

Hyabusa1340 says:

How many?

836 miles in 30 hours was fine. Sometimes I feel I could just keep riding....!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

About 700 miles in a van and about 450 miles on a bike are enough for me nowadays but I have done more when I was younger. (over Two million miles so far).

Reply to this Topic
posset

Dec 12

posset says:

Distance/Time

Wilcon has it right.

Distance travelled is meaningless, its all about time in the saddle.

Reply to this Topic
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

not far at the moment

on my dt 125 r about 100 miles in a day is plenty.

Reply to this Topic
craig1000

Sep 12

craig1000 says:

On my hols to Spain 600 miles a day no prob's in car, but on the gixer  about 200 and I've had enough.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Max daily mileage

When I returned from italy I did 854 miles on the first day and 778 miles on the second day. That was about the limit of what I wanted to ride becuase day 1 involved riding in heavy rain for around 2 hours.

When holidaying with a pillion I normally keep the mileage down to less than 450miles per daybut on my own I'd do upto 1000 miles per day (but not day after day).

Reply to this Topic
fazerphil

Mar 05

fazerphil says:

Daily Mileage

If you had asked me this question about 10 years ago I would have said 200 miles. However since discovering the Iron Butt Association I would say its anything over 1500 miles as to do more would involve breaking speed limits and not riding safely. The Iron Butt Association in the UK has verified around 800 rides of 1000 to 1500 miles per day in the uk. See The roll of honour on www.ironbutt.co.uk

I realise that many riders will see that as a bit extreme but with pratice it is achievable safely.

Philip Weston

President

Iron Butt Association UK

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

how far?

When pleasure becomes a pain.... sore bum, wrists, back head, cold feet, hands etc... depends on the weather, busyness of the roads and the purpose of your journey I'd say.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Longest day

My longest day was riding 4 hours to class, spending 10½ hours going back and forth between classroom sessions and riding drills, then riding 4 hours back home.

Given a choice, no more than 10 hours a day riding on the Honda Dullsville, less on other bikes.

Reply to this Topic
460Jetboat

Dec 12

460Jetboat says:

500 miles?

That's it?  I'm just getting warmed up by then.

1574 miles is my longest certified ride to date.  (22.5 hrs)

Ken

IBA#44567

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices