Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: How far is 'too far' to ride in a day? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: How far is 'too far' to ride in a day?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: How far is 'too far' to ride in a day?

How far is too far? We're aware here at MCN HQ that some of you use your bikes for the daily commute of only a few miles, while others might make a holiday on two wheels, covering thousands of miles in only a few weeks. We've got all sorts here, from the road testers who ride as far as Africa to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 December 2012 15:33)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

i did

dunkirk to italian riviera 24hrs in the  saddle and i enjoyed every mile of it  approx 900 to 1000 miles

another time rode from london to  st Austel  did not enjoy it .. the trip felt hard long and boring

so i think it depends on how you feel

Reply to this Topic
kharli

Dec 11

kharli says:

Durness to Reading in the rain on A roads on a 125 ..oh hang on that WAS tooo far  couldnt ride for a week afterwards.

Reply to this Topic
stevieboy1962

Feb 06

Every year I used to do near enough 1000 mile in a day, when the Bol D'or was at Paul Ricard, I'm not sure I'm still up to it though, did about 500 miles through France in the car this summer and was knackered !

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

How Long Is A Piece Of String?

The answer is going to vary from rider to rider, depending on what they're used to and what bike they ride. 

For instance: I did long distance courier work several years ago. A typical day might consist of 200 miles of "local" runs in the morning and then Plymouth to Colchester and back after lunch and that's a 600 mile round trip. Not only would I do 800+ miles in one day but would be up and running the next day for the same again if required.

Me and my ST1100 covered over 100,000 miles in eighteen months.  I was out on the road in all weathers from heat-wave to freezing,

These days I wouldn't contemplate those distances because I'm no longer used to it and I don't really need to. A few hundred miles would be enough, preferably followed by a day or two on a beach somewhere hot and sunny.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
rascaltrousers

Dec 12

How far?

There's no such thing as too far, only the wrong bike for long distance riding. I've done 700 miles two up in one day from France to Yorkshire on a Suzuki GS500, and a similar trip on a TDM 900. Both coped well and left me feeling not too uncomfortable, though the TDM was a bit better. Long distance riding is more a state of mind thing. Once you are in the groove the miles ar irrelevant and you just keep riding. I'm no Nick sanders but I do like a day in the saddle.

Reply to this Topic
F0ulOli

Jun 12

F0ulOli says:

Silly Question!

Too far is when 24 hours is up! Distance is irrelevant - 1000 miles isn't difficult if its the right roads,on the right bike where 200 miles is hell if its neither! Two examples, 1000 motorway miles on a Cagiva Elefant in 24 hours was easy. 200 mostly back road miles on a TDR250 was hard work!

Reply to this Topic
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

Over the years I/we have done 2 thousand mile days,and lost track of the number of 700 milers all two up,but how the hell the likes of Nick Sanders gets up and does it the following day as well god knows.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

winger!

2000 miles in 24 hours? Thats averaging over 83mph for 24 hours solid. Where did you do that?

Reply to this Topic
ronaldob

Dec 12

ronaldob says:

how long is a piece of string

Not sure about how far is too far in a day. A subjective thing perhaps. I do know how long a piece of string is though. Twice the distance from the middle to one end :-)

Reply to this Topic
busaman195

Aug 09

busaman195 says:

200/400

Depends what bike you ride and your health ,fireblade200m or the busa 400m for me.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices