Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Old or new first bike? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Old or new first bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

admin

Nov 06

admin says:

You Ask/You Answer: Old or new first bike?

I'm putting myself through the new bike test in February, and will be buying a new bike shortly afterwards (I'm not a spoilt rich kid, I've benefitted from some inheritance money). I'll have to have a sub-47bhp bike, but I can't decide which route to go: should I follow my head and just get a ratty old shonker until I've...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 December 2012 15:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

My advice

Start on an old one for the first one - first bikes inevitably get dropped with inexperience; the newer (and more expensive) the bike, the more gutting it'll be, plus an oldie will probably be easier to insure.

Reply to this Topic
thehoss

Dec 10

thehoss says:

Old but not too old

I was in your shoes not long ago. I ended up buying a new ER6n, looking back on it I should have bought something a few years old. Buy new and it will lose money the minute you sit on it, you will be more worried about dropping/crashing it rather than enjoying. Buy something a couple of years old and let someone else take the depreciation. If it needs a bit of maintenance, all the better to start tinkering and learning on.

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Why waste your money?

When I first passed my test I bought an old bike.. mainly because I didn't trust myself to buy a good second hand one. What a waste of money. Within 1000 miles I'd dropped the new bike.. not badly, but enough it wasn't new any more. I'm now an advocate of second hand bikes. I'd never buy a new one again unless I was buying something that had ridiculous residual values, like a beemer. That said, if I was you and had the cash.. I'd buy something around 2 years old with under 10k on it and that hadn't been obviously dropped. That's still a new bike tbh and 30-40% cheaper depending on the bike. (ie not a beemer)

Reply to this Topic
klacto

Oct 12

klacto says:

New new new

New or nearly new. I used second hand bikes until I nearly got killed because of a mechanical fault caused by old age ( the bike not me) so new every time.

Reply to this Topic
domtrails

Jun 12

domtrails says:

A nice decent bike with a few years, the odd scratch and not too many miles - the ER6n is a perfect starter bike I have to agree.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Why do so many people think that just because a rider is new that they WILL automatically drop the bike?  The percentage that do have got to be less than 1/2%.  TBH, I've never met any first time riders anywhere I've been in 25 years tha have dropped their bike their first year or 2 of riding.

I say get a new one if the guy finds one he likes.  He'll spend his time enjoying riding instead of maintaining and keepingthe thing running.  Nothing could sour a new rider more than finding he has to learn to be a mechanic too.

My only reasoning for buying used, other than cheap, is you're not out much if you find the bike's ergos and overall usefulness doesn't suit your needs.  You then can figure out what you do really want...a  daily commuter, a weekend sport bike or pack mule touring rig.

Reply to this Topic
Fomancu

Jul 08

Fomancu says:

2nd hand is best

The market needs people to buy 2nd hand-so I can buy new-I walked all the way to the bank with a huge smile on my face with a huge wad cos the idiot "needed" my old GSXR1000 "tricked up" Rizla rep( it made 202 at the rear wheel btw)--was I worried that his last bike was a 125 two stroke??  Nope--pity he wreaked it and his body 4 weeks later. snigger

Reply to this Topic
burnthouse

May 12

burnthouse says:

New or old that is the question

I would go with a good 3yr old bike first.... it will enable you to get used to the physical weight of moving the bike around, which depending on your height and build can be a lot more physical than you would first imagine. Also, don't worry about the increased power and performance, they rarely cause any problems if you've done your training. Remember, if you buy a 2nd hand bike and don't like it you can sell it for very near what you bought it for, not the case with a new bike, and you have to run a new one in apron 1000 miles normally... but when you've decided on the type of bike you want new ones have the benefit of 0% finance too in a lot of cases.

Reply to this Topic
unknowninfo

Dec 12

unknowninfo says:

I'd advise you to start on an older bike, just play it safe and get it checked out before you buy, reg checkers ect and if your not confident with the mechanical side and know a mechanic get em to look it over before you buy. You may be one of the lucky half who never drop your bike but then you also might not and replacement plastics/parts are a whole heap cheaper for older models, as long as you don't pick a rare machine or do as I did and bought a bike with the word triumph written on it lol. In my opinion its also worth tinkering with your bike a bit, learn the basics without needing a degree in engineering, I personally like to know that if I'm stuck by the side of the road and its something basic I can fix it without the aid of the aa/rac guy laughing as he tightens a spark plug cable or reconnects the ignition kill switch after I've been sat there for an hour in the rain waiting for him to show. But whatever you choose, dont be rushed, choose the correct bike for you, size, weight, ect, and enjoy it. Stay safe

Reply to this Topic
d0nkeychop

May 10

d0nkeychop says:

No question....

...get a used jap from a dealer, you can buy with peace of mind and usually with finance and warranty available. You'll save a packet and be able to spend it on touring, training and track days instead.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices