Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Old or new first bike? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Old or new first bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

admin

Nov 06

admin says:

You Ask/You Answer: Old or new first bike?

I'm putting myself through the new bike test in February, and will be buying a new bike shortly afterwards (I'm not a spoilt rich kid, I've benefitted from some inheritance money). I'll have to have a sub-47bhp bike, but I can't decide which route to go: should I follow my head and just get a ratty old shonker until I've...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 December 2012 15:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Who drops their bike while filtering?!

Reply to this Topic
Fomancu

Jul 08

Fomancu says:

@ snev

re: GSXR-simply put ---a fat wallet--a plethora of Yoshimura Factory Race parts--a  local Yoshimura approved workshop complete with technicians-and rolling road(plus all the necessary mods to chassis and brakes/suspension to cope with the extra horses)---and voila--a fire breathing road and track day bemouth. I appreciate that all that money quitte possible could have bought one and a half  S1000R--with change to spare--but it was an original Rizla Suzuki Motogp Rep( # 157 I think)-ohh and it did go!!! :-)

Reply to this Topic
busaman195

Aug 09

busaman195 says:

new

you can`t beat running a new bike in,my busa has over 5 owners and it feels like it!still the best bike i have owned.

Reply to this Topic
Rotherider

Dec 12

Rotherider says:

New or Old...?

Thanks for raising this subject.  I am in the same boat myself, so am keen to read other readers comments.

By the way, 'Mr brutale r', we all have to start somewhere, so less of the smart comments please.  MCN caters for new bikers as well as those with more experience.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

fomanchu...

assuming you bought your Gixer Thou New, I would guess it was only a Few years old when you sold it so assuming a standard bike made @155bhp at the rear or @177 at the crank, you would have added a Pipe, Filter, Power Commander, Cat By-pass, Cams (Yoshi), Gas Flow, Rods, Pistons, Stacks, Hoses, Valves and Dyno time not to mention.... Rims, Shocks, Brakes ect All told I would guess your BSB Spec Bike cost a small fortune. Can I buy your next Bike?

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

I would never buy a new bike while they is plenty of good second hand bikes for sale. Find a good low mileage with sensible mods and you will save a fortune. Some bikers just buy a bike so they can say "I am a biker", some bikers spend more time polishing their bikes than riding.

Personally I don't spend more than 4000 on a bike because I ride all year and do a few trackdays. I wouldn't be too upset if I wrecked it. I have found the less money you spend the more fun you'll have especially at trackdays.

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

@Daveire

spot on mate - I bought a Sprint ST 955i for £1000 a couple of years ago from a mate who'd had a climbing accident and couldn't ride it anymore, it'd been standing outside for a couple of years so I needed to strip and clean the calipers and change the oil & filters etc, but I had more fun on that £1000 bike than on most of my other ones!

My wife then had it as her  first big bike - perfect!

Cheers,

Baz

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Break In Procedure

Best to have a low-speed crash right away on a new bike, so you no longer feel like you need to treat it as a museum piece.

Reply to this Topic
Fomancu

Jul 08

Fomancu says:

@ snev

you forgot to mention--bottom edge blue print-knife edge crank and Em-Pro :-)

well--I am eyeing up a certain Ducati for 2013--- :-)

Reply to this Topic
TJRavenscroft

May 11

I got myself a BMW F800R as my first big bike, on a 10 plate. So a relatively new bike that was not exactly cheap. I passed my test 2 months after I turned 17 and then carried on riding my 125 for 12 months before stepping up. It doesn't really matter whether you spent a lot or a little in my opinion. If you spend more you're likely to be more careful from the word go and not go flying round bends at warp speed at first, and probably less likely to have an accident. Some of my friends who got older bikes have fallen off them or had incidents, whereas myself and my friends who have newer bikes, haven't yet. Touch wood. Plus on a new bike you can have ABS, which one day, will save your skin, your expensive insurance excess and not to mention your pride. Up to you though.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices