Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Old or new first bike? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Old or new first bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

admin

Nov 06

admin says:

You Ask/You Answer: Old or new first bike?

I'm putting myself through the new bike test in February, and will be buying a new bike shortly afterwards (I'm not a spoilt rich kid, I've benefitted from some inheritance money). I'll have to have a sub-47bhp bike, but I can't decide which route to go: should I follow my head and just get a ratty old shonker until I've...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 December 2012 15:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Big_Boomer

Oct 05

Big_Boomer says:

Beater

Buy a cheaper older bike so that when you drop it,... and you WILL drop it, it's no big deal. There should be a kit out soon for the Bandit 600/650 as well as for many other mid-range bikes. Spend some of the money you saved on good quality safety gear and once your two years are up, trade up to the bike of your dreams. You won't have lost much value on the older bike. If you have any sense you will learn to do some basic maintenance as it keeps you in touch with the condition of your bike. Finally, in two years time your Z800e will be old hat and you will be lusting after something newer. Not only that but de-restricting it will cost a small fortune (exhaust, ECU, wiring loom) and the bike will have depreciated massively as all bikes do from new. Oh, and welcome to the world of motorcycling. May your riding life be long and safe and a blast!

Reply to this Topic
baldeagle1956

Oct 08

minimal plastic

New or old it is best to stick to a naked as plastic is expensive to replace. No point buying cheap to spend a fortune on new plastic. Otherwise buy what you can afford and as most others say, you are likely to re-consider that wild impulse to throw it round a bend if it is new (showing off your new bike that is now scratched to bits isnt cool - as my son soon found out)

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

USED

buy a used bike thats a bit of a dog for your fist year as you will chuck it down the road.

You need to build your confidance , skill level  and experiance ,

Then buy a  iether a good used or new

the most experianced riders will bin their bikes as i did just before a trip to scotlasnd luckily there was very little damage.

Reply to this Topic
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

Old!

Go for an older machine and carry out your own maintenance. You'll be a much better biker for it!

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

CB500

Get a CB500 for your first bike impossible to go wrong with it, cheap to run cheap if you drop it and great fun. After that I think I would bite the bullet and get the new z800e what a bike to start on and great looks.

Reply to this Topic
hillfish

May 10

hillfish says:

OLD & USED FIRST

I recommend getting an old used bike first - doesn't have to be a heap but it means you can concentrate on learning to ride and getting good experience under your belt without having to worry too much about the bike - e.g experience includes maintaining it and keeping it clean and getting used to riding in all conditions. Then when you're ready, get the bike you really want - you'll have a much better idea what bike that is once you've been riding for while and make a better choice - you'll also enjoy it more when you do get it as you'll have become a more seasoned biker and worked your way up to it. I'd reckon getting a new restricted bike will only hold you back a bit so best be patient. good luck!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices