Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Old or new first bike? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Old or new first bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

admin

Nov 06

admin says:

You Ask/You Answer: Old or new first bike?

I'm putting myself through the new bike test in February, and will be buying a new bike shortly afterwards (I'm not a spoilt rich kid, I've benefitted from some inheritance money). I'll have to have a sub-47bhp bike, but I can't decide which route to go: should I follow my head and just get a ratty old shonker until I've...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 December 2012 15:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
frugaltail

Feb 12

frugaltail says:

why not!

first... with the new laws would it even be possible to have the z800 restricted to conform with the new scheme? if so GO FOR IT!! why not have the bike of your dreams if I had the money I would defiantly buy the best I could with it and that always without doubt means new... sure there are ways of saving a few bob but biking is about how it makes you feel not being practical every second of the day!! Just one thing.... buy lots and lots and lots of crash protection, there is a 101% probability you will need it for your first bike... usually because of dropping it in front of your new bike mates!

Reply to this Topic
frugaltail

Feb 12

frugaltail says:

smile

p.s .... I also love how this kid is asking ****follow my dream vs practicality**** and everyone becomes a sales man trying to sell him another dream or talk him down ( or her ) GO NUTS KID we all like different stuff, and apparently this is bike trader on here now! :D

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Older but New

The last two bikes I have purchased were about 2 years old but new with less than 2 miles on the clocks. Substantial discounts on both, since dealers need to clear out inventory - so searching Internet classified ads for deals on leftover less popular models can be worthwhile.

Reply to this Topic
prdh

Jun 11

prdh says:

Older

I was in a similar position a year ago, as I did a direct access course I had only spent hours on a bike so I decided to get a older bike, I have come off once in the wet (silly mistake) if you have spent time on a 125 then in my opinion you are less likely to have an off, the other thing I like about my old bike is its simple to work on and great to learn the basics on if that’s what your interested in. Get something good and reliable the age will depend on how much you want to spend and weigh that against the risk of an off.

Reply to this Topic
goodygixxer

Jan 09

goodygixxer says:

New bike

If you can afford it then go for it.  After all a new bike will be so much smoother and nicer to ride and you know everything works and is not worn.  When you run it in you'll have the chance to slowly get used to it, and if you do drop it....well....that's what insurance is for!

If you buy an old dog you will not be as happy with it and will probably wish you had bought the new bike after all.

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

AM I BOVERED....???

When you run it in you'll have the chance to slowly get used to it, and if you do drop it....well....that's what insurance is for!

Goodygixxer some words of wisdom followed by a gung ho so what attitude. No wonder the insurance gives us a hard time. You're not supposed to drop the bike and if in doubt take it easy.Yes insurance is there in case of accidents but `IN CASE' is the operative word. Premiums are astronomical to start with.......

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

is it just me

or are these questions getting more and more pathetic

its personal choice

come on MCN get some different and interesting question s

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

New

If you can afford new then buy new. You'll be more likely to look after it and ride it with care. In return it should prove to be more reliable.

Reply to this Topic
WindyMiller75

Sep 11

can you afford...

...to crash it?

On a new bike you're probably going to want fully comp insurance, so factor that in, plus the increased insurance costs for all the claims you make, not to mention dealer servicing costs to keep your warranty valid.

new bike is new. you know it's history, you know it's covered by warranty, it's all good and you don't have to get your hands dirty, but it costs more.

old bike is old, you don't know where it's been, but if you want to get your hands dirty, you probably will and if you scratch it a bit, meh.

It's not a black and white issue though. I'd say buy something a couple of years old, save a bit of cash because in 2 years you'll probably fancy something else anyway.

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

I'd say mid 2000s

I'd go for a mid 2000s (6 or 7 years old) 600 Fazer or Bandit and get it restricted. or even a restricted Speed Triple.

The most likely damage will occur (hopefully!) from a low speed drop such as when filtering or doing a U turn - I'd say one of these bikes will be cheaper to put right and handle the odd knock better.

in 2 years time you'll probably want to change your bike anyway - so going for a used Fazer etc you'll lose less money when you do change.

Personally, I'd go for the restricted Speed Trip and in 2 yrs remove the restriction - then you've got enough bike to last you another few years...

Cheers,

Baz

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices