Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jamie95

Nov 12

jamie95 says:

2 stroke questions

Hello all

this evening i changed my bikes 2 stroke oil, draining the old reservoir by removing the pipes then putting it all back together and filled it up,
Will this be ok or do I need to bleed it or something?
First bike so just checking,
Also the pipe from the 2 stroke reservoir is starting to wear out, and slightly cracking,
Been looking for ages to try find a replacement but can’t find them anywhere, any advise?It is the same connection as this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APRILIA-RS-50-2-STROKE-O... but don’t want to take the risk of this being in the same condition.
Cheers all

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 December 2012 23:49)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
morris987@btinternet.com

Dec 08

just open

the top of the two stroke tank and place you mouth over the filler preferably with a rag between tank& teeth and blow down hard, making sure the oil is in the pipe in a solid line, new pipe can be bought from quite a few engineers merchants, far cheaper than going to a dealer and you can get plenty for pennies rather than pounds,  use good quality two stroke oil while your at it, not the cheapo tesco crap that will eventually ruin those expensive bearings.

Reply to this Topic
jamie95

Nov 12

jamie95 says:

is Mobil 1 Racing 2T Fully Synthetic  ok?

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Jamie: 2-strokes

Sure, that'll be fine - 2-strokes are amazingly resilient, the fully synth is probably a bit too good for it if anything!  

Replacing the 2-stroke tank depends on your budget.  Price a new one at your dealer, if that's too much,  you might want to think of 2nd hand.  That one you linked to looks a bit knackered, but this one:
ebay 2-stroke tank
looks just about mint!   That's £15 though.

You don't have to worry about bleeding it and all that like it's air in a brake-pipe, where any air is a serious problem, but you don't want to run the engine without 2-stroke for very long.  Just run 2-stroke oil through it once it's in place prior to connecting it, and you'll be fine.

Reply to this Topic
jamie95

Nov 12

jamie95 says:

cheers for that great advise, just to let you know, i dont own a apprila i just need the connecting pips for the 2stroke tank

cheers

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

you need to

follow the pipe to the two stroke oil pump then take the outer  cover off and on the oil pump there is a bleed screw .....remove this screw untill the oil is running out without any air in it then replace the screw and the cover .... and jobs a good un.

pipe can be obtained at most bike part shops

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

What bike is it?

Hi Jamie95

All the advice given to you so far is very poor(except in the case of Oscarthegrouch his advice is sound)if there is the smallest of  a air bubble in the oil line either to or from the oil pump the engine will have a seizure,also it is best to run all modern two stroke on the best two stroke oil you can get,Fully synthetic is the way to go,and blowing in the oil tank with the pipes still connected will not clear any air bubbles(THE FULL SYSTEM NEEDS BLEEDING).A good tip when carrying out any work like this is to put a cap or two(off the two stroke bottle) of two stroke oil into the fuel tank  this will help to protect the engine in case you do unfortunately miss any air in the system,follow Oscars advice hes spot on:smile

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

kcmc: 2-strokes...

Oh come on, a momentary interruption in 2-stroke supply isn't going to seize the engine.  If the 2-stroke pump is running air for a moment, it'll only bring on the supply of oil in that much faster - it's already gravity fed.   Kick it over a couple of times and it'll have run through anyway.

I'd have seized my own 2-strokes scores of times if what you said was even a half serious concern - been running & rebuilding them right from back in the day, and I've still got a 2-stroke now!

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

Thanks kcmc

Also what most manufacturers say is to hold the  the two stroke pump on for a minute but i find it's a right chew on cause when you do this it just floods the cylinder with oil and oils the plug up

and slow i'm just saying what all manufacturers say when bleeding the system apart from holding the two stroke pump on fully which has caused me problems in the past :winkie: oh and jamie make sure you change that pipe pronto cause if it starts to split it will allow for the ingress of air also

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

never

heard of changing @ stroke oil its a consumerble item

but if your that worried after doing it  mix 2 stroke with the petrol what we call premixed

as for air bubble you can do 1 of  3 things 1.. remove the spark plug (s) spin the engine over  ..2   leave 24 hrs and the air will rise up into the tank  ..3 as above premix

KMC sorry mate but are you trying to scare the shit outa jamie as slow said it wont hurt of a second or 2  i ran my RG 500 mk 6 round brands for 2 laps  with no oil before a heat seize

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

2 stroke

Those that are stating that it is O.K. to run a 2 stroke engine without oil are not giving good advice, the whole principle of having oil in the fuel mix is to lubricate the engine components.

The poster being new to biking is asking for advice which is the correct way to carry out work on HIS bike and Oscarthegrouch and KCMC have given this.

Brutale r and Slowlearner, your method is OK for YOUR engines, as if and when, they do fail it is you that has to deal with the engine failure. Brutale r sorry mate but you even state what finally happened to your engine, all right you say it took 2 laps, but at what point did that seizure begin to occur.

I'll tell you, just when the oil ran out. No oil equals no lubrication, no lubrication, engine components begin to fail, it could be instant on an older engine or may take slightly longer on a newer engine but rapid wear is the result otherwise why bother with oil in the first place.

With regard to premix, as KCMC says only put in a small amount, the reason being that when the oil pump does resume pumping oil to the carb the mixture percentage goes up and you could start to suffer high carbon deposits to the piston crown which will break away and foul the spark plug which in turn will cause the engine to stop. 

So Jamie95 if I were you I would go with the advice of Oscarthegrouch and KCMC,

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices