Ask an Expert BIKE SAT NAVS Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > BIKE SAT NAVS

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

fastfreddiek2

Sep 09

BIKE SAT NAVS

When is MCN going to investigate why bike sat navs are so expensive compared to car sat navs. Surely a rubber mount for the circuit board and a rubber seal to make it waterproof can not justify a £200-£300 mark up. Please look into this MCN, after all you're supposed to be there for us?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 December 2012 01:54)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Nav's

They are a little bit more than just a rubber seal.

But they ARE very expensive..

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Water

and fuel resistance, bigger buttons for use with gloved hands, different mountings because the standard windscreen sucker doesn't work on a bike, and communication (wired or Bluetooth) of audio instructions via some form of headset / earphones that fit in a bike helmet.

A few ideas.

Reply to this Topic
ajmcguk

Feb 12

ajmcguk says:

£10

I bought a £10 mount off Amazon and put my phone in it. Ta-da! - SatNav without having to spend £250...

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Used my TomTom

euro rider this summer in France with no probs, i bought the "bike" active charger, an extra £49 :shock: so the whole thing ain't cheap but it never let us down.:smile

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Bike nav

With Garmin you get a programme for the PC so you can plan and plot routes, then transfer them direct onto your satnav.

I use my Garmin 660 on the bike AND in the car. It has a fuel guage, so as soon as you hot reserve, it automatically tells you where the nearest fuel stations are.

The Garmin has survived being left out all night in the rain, bouncing down the road when some twat wiped me out ( it stayed attached to the bike) and brake fluid on the screen.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

TomTom Rider UK & Europe

Is a bit cheaper than the Garmin and I got it at a steal for £199 during a promotion (now back up to £299). Lovely bit of kit and touch wood never let me down yet. Making your own routes is a bit more fiddly because you need to mess about with Google Maps then export them into the right format but there are plenty of ready made maps to play with.

One thing you get with most dedicated bike sat navs (along with glove friendly buttons, bluetooth, hardened chassis, water & wind proofing, anti-glare screens etc) that has been loads of fun is the "Windy Road" feature which is great for those days when you want to take the long way home. It's not just a simple "avoid main roads" option, it actively seeks out top rated riders roads from the community and offers a number of route options. I've found some brilliant roads that I would never have known existed before.

I tried using my phone as a prat nav for a while but its cumbersome and hard to see in direct sunlight even when using a dedicated phone mount. A proper bike sat nav is well worth the extra cash in my opinion.

Reply to this Topic
DaveEndicot

Mar 13

DaveEndicot says:

Bike Sat Navs

Really weird how they are SO much more expensive, I mean you would have thought some company would have released a sub £100 one by now. There's a European one called MAPPY that's a bit cheaper but it's still pretty pricey if you ask me. Anyone heard of them?

This websites running a competiton, http://www.motorbiketimes.com/news/gadgets/competition-win-a-mappy-mini-340-motorbike-sat-nav-in-our-latest-prize-draw-$21382061.htm I suppose I'll enter but never win these things...

Reply to this Topic
gs12

Feb 10

gs12 says:

Garmin 660 wiped out! The mount supplied is not up to the job and my 660 was wiped out! I use a touratec mount now on my second 660. Garmin are good but 0 for customer service.

:blink:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Never had any problems with my Garmin 660 mount. Even after the bike bounced down the road, flipping upsidedown, the sat nav was still in it's mount. It got covered in brake fluid when the master cylinder was ripped off, but I just wiped it clean and it's still fine now.

Reply to this Topic
PerryGPS

May 13

PerryGPS says:

Bike Sat Navs

Hello,

I work for a company called Global GPS and we do specialize in a lot of bike related products.

We are one of the cheapest online for bike GPS systems.

If you wish to purchase from ourselves then as a SPECIAL OFFER, we can offer free delivery with any purchase on bike related products or a free carry case when you purchase a bike sat nav with the use of this promo code: GG789

If i can be of any help at all then do not hesitate to contact me at the office on 01626336007

Perry

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices