Skip to content

Ask an Expert CBT In December? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > CBT In December?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

RobotN1XON

Dec 12

RobotN1XON says:

CBT In December?

First of all, apologies to mods if this is the wrong section to post this, not sure where else it belongs.

Basically i've got my CBT booked for the 22nd this month because i'm really eager to get on a bike so i no longer have to rely on buses for my commute. I booked the CBT, but now I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to do it in the middle of December? We've had one day of snow and a fair bit of frost on the road so I have a feeling it's going to be pretty dangerous first time on a bike if there's any ice.

The way I see it is that it would be better to be taught how to ride in adverse weather as opposed to finding out the hard way myserf after doing CBT in summer, and just wondered if anyone had any thoughts about if I should/shouldn't do it at this time of year?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 December 2012 00:38)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

just do it

welcome to the site  , go ahead with your CBT , the riding school wont take you out if its dangerous . If you intend riding all year you will need to learn how to cope with the glorious british weather , i  personally will ride all year , frost is okay as long as wrapped up for it , but snow and ice my bike stays in the shed  , good luck and stay safe

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

The school /

instructor will judge whether they consider it's safe to go ahead with CBT given the weather at the time. Make sure you wrap up warm; getting wet and cold can sap your concentration which is never good on a bike.

Crap weather and greasy, slippery roads will teach you quite quickly to be smooth with your inputs.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Test

Did mine at the start of January.  "Just do it" - anytime of the year will be fine, after all, we might have to ride at any time of the year, so there's no reason not to get tested then.

Good luck with it mate!

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

CBT

Usually the school will make the call, if they don't think it is safe they won't take you out. But still don't worry they will re-schedule it for another day.

I have to say though they can get it wrong, When I was an Observer for the IAM I didn't go out one sunday because it was too icy. A colleague of mine went out doing his DAS and he told me on one particular stretch of road it was icy in the shade.

First the instructor fell off and all the students natural reaction was to brake and they all fell off behind him, the whole group went down. Not what you would expect when on a training course. You can never say never. All at pretty slow speeds so it was really dropping the bikes, no one was hurt. 

It didn't stop them though, my colleague accepted that it is part of the game, carried on and passed his test first time.

I did my pre -test training in the freezing cold winter but didn't have the experience like above, so go ahead and do it.

Good luck.:smile

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Go for it

But wrap up warm!

Reply to this Topic
RobotN1XON

Dec 12

RobotN1XON says:

re:

Wait so you did pre-training before you CBT? The one I booked is the whole day she-bang, so would i need to do pre-training as well on top of that?

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Robot

I did my CBT first back in 1995, first part was in a school playground, second part was out on the road. It was around October time, although pretty cold conditions were good.

After my CBT I did some pre test training with a school about six one day sessions, January February time, conditions were good but it was flippin freezing cold.

Went on and passed my test first time.

I believe this may have been before the days of DAS?

Reply to this Topic
RobotN1XON

Dec 12

RobotN1XON says:

Stevey

Ah okay then, panicked a little bit there haha.

What sort of clothes should I take with me? I was just thinking of jeans, trainers with shirt, jumper and hoody. Should i bother buying any gear beforehand, or just take as many layers as I can?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices