Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi has nothing to prove on Yamaha return MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi has nothing to prove on Yamaha return

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi has nothing to prove on Yamaha return

Valentino Rossi has nothing to prove when he makes a return to Yamaha in 2013. After a nightmare two-year spell with Ducati in which the Italian failed to get close to recording a victory in 35 appearances, the 33-year-old will make his hugely anticipated return to a factory YZR-M1 machine next season. With his career stats and reputation taking a battering in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 December 2012 09:37)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Hedgy

I think the small point you're missing is that Rossi is not racing motorbikes and risking his life for vast sums of money or to prove anything to millions of fans - he's racing motorbikes because it's his PASSION.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Money has nothing to do with it... ?

He has sponsors... you're saying he has nothing to prove to them?... they'll be happy if he's a has-been? Yamaha will be happy paying for & sacrificing a factory bike for an also-ran? Rossi will be happy if he's selling less yellow hats?

We hopefully will never find out if a non-performance clause exists in this new contract but he can only go for so long without being competitive (has he taken a pay cut in this move?) before people will start pulling plugs.

I'll agree money isn't everything but his primary responsibility as a racer is to his team, sponsors & fans, which to all of whom it is a factor. I agree it has a lot to do with pride... & yes, of course he doesn't have to prove his pedigree... his good times are written indelibly in the history books along with his bad... unfortunately recently it's all been bad... he has to set the records straight.

I hope he will be a top 3 runner & I hope he proves what he has to prove not just to stay in the sport but to be the best again.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Saturn...

"Rossi is not racing motorbikes and risking his life for vast sums of money or to prove anything to millions of fans"

But, of course, actually he is doing it for more money than I'll probably ever see in front of millions of fans... you think he'd do it for free with nobody watching?... this is the guy who had one of the biggest ever run ins with the Italian Tax office resulting in a massive E20m settlement & who does a stage act at the end of every race he wins... money & fame mean a lot to him... as much as his passion for racing?... maybe not, but again it's a factor.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Hedgy

The passion promoted the talent - the talent brought the success - the success attracted the money the sponsorship and more success. Yes he gets paid vast sums of money (not nearly as much as Ducati would have paid.). The passion for the sport is what made him stay racing for a pay-cut - at his age and with his undoubted wealth  he could easily have walked away to the car rallying world.

The stage acting -love it or hate it - intoduced and promoted MotoGP to the masses.

Love him or hate him any subject concerning Rossi attracts double the posts of any other.  The man is a central component who attracts more attention than any other factor in what has become a rather dull product. All the top guys earn more in a year than I'll ever see in a lifetime but that's the way it works.

Of course this is only my opinion and is open to criticism

Ask Nostro or anyone who has raced bikes if they raced for money and success and adulation or for the passion of the sport.

Reply to this Topic
naj46

Nov 12

naj46 says:

y the heck are u ppl talking about. Wait tell next year and he will show the world his actualll potential. Rossi is Rossi he has proven this in decade and he will prove it again in 2013. Long live the legend.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Rossi races for many reasons

money, adulation and passion being amongst them. Top of the list right now though is to try and restore some lost credibility and burnish his tarnished reputation. A tall order in my books!

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Everything to prove

Yet  as ever, naught to lose. An interesting comparison is over @ superbikeplanet re Scott Russell. Rossi should be a lot better 2013 aboard a bike and within a team he clearly did not earn a place within, given his utterly useless showing on the D16. I'm not about to judge yet. I do wish him well for 2013. If it turns into piss and vinegar cocktails, I for one won't be surprised.

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Ben Spies replacement

Well sure. Realistically,all Rossi has to do is win one race in 2013,a dry weekend at that and he equals what Spies did 2 years back as Rossi's replacement.. Hell of a game it certainly is. Tit for tat. I've got more loaded on Spies winning a race for Ducati than I have on Rossi winning for Yamaha in 2013.

As ever,I will suck it up and pay my dues should it turn pear shaped.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

There was a massive need......

.........to prove himself aboard the Duke but not anymore. He's an old chap now.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Good luck with that Speez bet bootlicker and sucking it up..I'd get practicing my deep breathing technique now if I were you.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices