Skip to content

Discuss This Obituary: Father Graham Hullett General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Obituary: Father Graham Hullett

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Allen & Gareth Ashman  says:

Obituary: Father Graham Hullett

Reverend Frederick Graham Hullett, leader of the 59 Club during its heydays in the 60s, died on 5th December 2012 aged 80. A full requiem will be held in his memory on 17th December in Lincoln Cathedral at 10 am. Father Graham's love of motorcycling was first enflamed during his National Service which he spent riding a G3 Matchless with the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 December 2012 10:43)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DilR1

Jul 12

DilR1 says:

RIP

RIP Father Graham, my dad always looked up to you and Father Bill, No sooner had I cocked my leg over a bike and my Uncle had handed me down his little 59 club pin badge and Dad had renewed his membership and paid for mine.

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

RIP Father...

Reply to this Topic
Rocker66

Jan 03

Rocker66 says:

I met Father Graham many times and found him a great guy who unlike many church people lived in the real world. I even read the lesson at a service that he held for the Ashford Aces MCC

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Happy Days

I used to live near to the North Circular road and as a schoolboy often saw British Cafe Racers on a burn-up between the Ace Cafe and the Busy Bee. Father Graham's influence on the 59 Club and others was a force for good.

Reply to this Topic
HackneyHawkes

Dec 12

The Real Thing

Father Graham was 'one of us' and the real thing down at the 59 Club during its prime, not Bill Shergold. There was never a sense he was looking down at us or patronising, let alone trying to convert us to the Church. He was loved and respected by everyone. He had to earn it, and he did. He was there all the time for everyone. There's never been a biker' club like the 59 was in Paddington and there was so much potential going for it when it moved back to Hackney. It was a tower of strength and brought everyone together. It could have done amazing things for biking in this country. It did in the 60s when we were absolute pariahs. I never got to know what went wrong, what they did to him and why they chucked him out, but the club basically died when he left. He was the spirit of the 59 like people say. I never understood why they wrote him out of the club's history and why Bill Shergold got all the credit. Something wrong happened that we were all worse off for. I know that. Towards the end, the church just wanted rid of the 59 and the leaders Shergold and Cook were doing all they could to shut it down behind the scenes ... for all the little that they did so. The big joke is, the leaders treated the rockers and 'Classic Section' like crap, and yet now the whole world knows and thinks of the club because of the rocker and classic bike connections. I am really glad Father Graham is getting his due respect now, even if it is too late. He gave so much to the British biking world, changed lives, and fought in our corner when no one else would. It's just shame they could not have done something when he was still alive. When's the memorial ride? This will be the real reunion.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices