Skip to content

Ask an Expert Swinton charge you to cancel your insurance Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Swinton charge you to cancel your insurance

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mwalkerb

Dec 12

mwalkerb says:

Swinton charge you to cancel your insurance

I'm halfway through a policy that cost £149 for the year, it's a 125, I've owned and ridden motorcycles for 34 years and never had an accident other than when a cop stepped off the pavement without looking..  and I hit him.

It's time for a new bike and I'm moving house so the bike has been donated to a friend.  I will buy a new one once settled in.

I phoned Swinton to let them know the policy can be cancelled and what do I get?  First they attempt to convince me I should cancel when I get my new bike, well I don't know when or what that is so they are out of luck.  

Then they say "Let me calculate that and let you know how much it will be."  My assumption it was the refund was wrong, it was the amount I would have to pay.

Of course this is ridiculous but apparently, in the small print of the policy I agreed to this "and there's nothing you can do, you must pay and if you don't and the current rider has an accident you can be liable."

Really?

"Yes, furthermore if the police check the bike and find two policies on the bike you may be in trouble."

It sounded very much like blackmail so rather than give the bike away I am tempted to drive it to the local scrapyard, although in good working condition it is old, but this hardly supports the second highest requirement in the governments Waste Hierarchy which is Reuse.

In these times of austerity it annoys me that insurance companies rely on underhand methods to line their fat bank accounts with other peoples money.  

I will happily pay a higher price for insurance next time to avoid being swindled by Swinton.  

For the past 30 years cancelling a policy meant a refund but now it means a cancellation fee.  Smells like unnecessary greed to me.

Does anyone know of an ethical insurance company that behaves in a manner befitting a community service rather than one designed to hike the pay of fat cats?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 December 2012 11:02)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

ins cancelled

It`s normal nowadays,even Churchill do it.At the end of the day it`s a contract broken.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Cancelling a policy

It's always cost money to cancel a policy - unless you're transferring it to another vehicle right away, you'll never get back the proper pro-rata amount.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Insurance

Just don't cancel the policy. The police would not be interested, as you wouldn't be making a claim.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices