Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Countersteering General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Countersteering

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Countersteering

"I'm new to riding, and people keep telling me to steer the wrong way into corners – which certainly wasn't mentioned in my training! I've done some digging online, and have read up on the theory of 'countersteering' but there seem to be lots of conflicting opinions on the practice. Is it the right thing to do, or is it...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 December 2012 13:28)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

everyone says to do it on motorbikes, and i even do it on my bicycle when i'm going fast enough for it to be stable. just try it, if it helps and you're comfortable doing it, then carry on. if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. whichever is safest for you...

Reply to this Topic
greenturbobob

Nov 05

Read

Twist of the wrist for a full explanation!!

Reply to this Topic
jahtlR

Jun 12

jahtlR says:

I found it happens quite naturally and you will find yourself countersteering without knowing your doing it. It wasn't taught on my test either but I did an advanced course last year and it was covered in depth by the instructor.

Reply to this Topic
Typhon219

Oct 11

Typhon219 says:

In order for a bike to get around a corner (once above around 15mph) it needs to be leant over. Countersteering isnt turning the bike as much as it is a techinque for leaning the bike over under control. To lean the bike over you have to destabilize it by pointing the wheel in the opposite direction ever so slightly. this makes the bike "fall" onto its side, but physics stops it hitting the deck if you're moving. You do this anyway for every corner, but to learn to do this purposefuly will help you improve your control of the bike and build your confidence, which will in turn help you relax and be more in control and so on. My DAS instructor found that I struggled with corners so he showed me a part of his handbook that outlined countersteering, although it was written for him to only teach the technique to students who were struggling with corners and it helped a little. I also read Keith Codes book in the summer which goes into the technique in depth,  and I focussed on using countersteering during my weekend excursions. It made a huge difference.

Reply to this Topic
Tetley

Aug 02

Tetley says:

counter-steer

Just ride the bike however you feel comfortable, confident and in control.

My Dad rode for forty-plus years and had never even heard of counter-steering. I've been riding over fifty years and have never felt the need to "learn" countersteering. Not even on an Aprilia Mille.

You shouldn't need to think which way to push or pull the bars to turn a corner. Just let it happen naturally.

One of the convincers that some of the "schools" use is to fit an extra set of FIXED handlebars to a bike, then show that you can't make the bike turn.  BUT, they don't explain how you can change direction when riding no-handed.

Explore counter-steering later , when your speed makes you think you might need it. Then make your own mind up.

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

turning

I think you will find it will depend upon your speed, and also the geometery of your bike.

As the speed increases you may find it easier to put a little presure on the inside bar as you turn, this need will increases with speed, Start with your feet, if you also put presure on the inside footpeg and press your outside knee against the side of the bike. the bottom half of your body should now be about right.Now with the top of your body lean a little forward to put some extra weight onto the bars, bend the inside elbow out a little and move your shoulders a little to the way you want to turn ( your head will now be more over to the mirror than the centre of the bike) You should find you almost need to "push out" on the inside bar, you will find you need to feed the gas as this keeps the bike up and on the right line, and you almost steer the bike through feeding the gas.(and looking where you want to go) Should you have a dry road you may want to move your arse half way across the seat as this put more weight onto the inside of the bike which could help if your going briskly

This may help, but please dont try too hard until you have practiced , or ride like a twat, its december ,keep it smooth and flowing , all of the above could be bollocks and I havent got any money, so please dont ride beyond your ability, bin your pride and joy, and attempt to invite me to court.

The above is very unlikely to turn you into a GP racer overnight but entering a corner at a speed where you are in control , feeding the gas smothly, steer positively, look where your going may help you a little.

Reply to this Topic
threefour

Dec 12

threefour says:

A key skill

Here in the U.S. counter steering is taught as a standard part of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider Course where a lot of Americans learn. They teach an emergency swerving maneuver that I think would be difficult or impossible to do quickly and effectively if not counter steering, and this is on relatively small learner bikes (Suzuki standard 125cc in my case). Each state has their own test, but in New Jersey the swerving maneuver was also on my licensing test, so I'm glad I learned how to counter steer.

Reply to this Topic
Krisrexter

Aug 10

Krisrexter says:

I try to teach it to all my students but as money is a factor not everybody gives their instructors enough time to teach them everything. But if in doubt a bit of time spent with an instructor,IAM ,Rospa Etc. post test should sort you out. Ps you are already doing it or you wouldn't be going round corners now. When you think about it actively that's when it helps to turn quicker or tighter also stops that horrible feeling when you think you have went to quick into a bend as opposed to actually being to quick for the bend.

Reply to this Topic
Krisrexter

Aug 10

Krisrexter says:

I try to teach it to all my students but as money is a factor not everybody gives their instructors enough time to teach them everything. But if in doubt a bit of time spent with an instructor,IAM ,Rospa Etc. post test should sort you out. Ps you are already doing it or you wouldn't be going round corners now. When you think about it actively that's when it helps to turn quicker or tighter also stops that horrible feeling when you think you have went to quick into a bend as opposed to actually being to quick for the bend.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

This explains it

really  stole that,thanks roadcraft :wink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale