Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should car drivers should get restricted driving licences? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Should car drivers should get restricted driving licences?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

System  says:

Poll: Should car drivers should get restricted driving licences?

With new rules coming into force in January, it's now going to be even more difficult to get your bike license, especially for younger riders. But, with so many bike accidents being caused by car drivers, is this really the right direction, or should we be doing more to educate car drivers? There's no limits on car licenses, allowing a 17-year old...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 December 2012 15:50)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

We really can't complain about more rules for ourselves, then wish more on others.

Is there evidence of accidents with youngsters in powerful cars ? If so, then do something about it, but don't legislate purely beacuse some folk think it might be a good idea. The clowns at the DSA are more than capable of that, without suggestions from us.

And where were the motorcycle industry association when these rules were being dreamt up ? They won't have an industry, the way things are going.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Big Picture

This really isn't difficult. It isn't about restricting access but reducing the number of people on the roads to reduce the accident rate.

The Government keeps reducing motorcyclist numbers by imposing stupid legislation yet the number of accidents, as a whole, keeps going up. Now why is that? It is because we have too many people in the country all driving on our tiny 60's designed UK roads. So the answer is not to build more roads to accommodate the increase in traffic and thereby increasing the accident rate but to reduce the population.

Another reason for reducing the population size: more jobs to go round, greater prosperity, less benefit claimants, less congestion and less accidents. Recession over and accident rate down.

There endeth the lesson for Mr Cameron and Mr Osborne and all the other government officials that haven't  worked it out yet.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Madness

What I would propose is that the current system of having different licences and tests for cars and bikes is a madness.

Anyone who passes a car test should be allowed to ride any motorbike after doing a CBT.

Anyone who passes a bike test should be allowed to drive any car after doing a CBT for cars.

Far too much nannying, what people need is to be able to demonstrate they can use the road safely then be left in peace to get on with it.

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

barks12

Let me reassure you that "good instructors" are definately not obsessed with pass rates BUT the whole industry is a mess and to try and stay afloat we HAVE to produce evedence how good we are! The bastards at the dsa are out to further their caereers and flood the market with instructors ( each paying £100s in qualiflying exams and then £300 for their teaching licences)to patch  up their finacial incompetence.I`ve been an instructor for going on 27 years now and feel like a second class citizen tring to make a living when theres twats selling lessons for less than minum wage .

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

Yes

My old man used to say to me motorcyclists make the best car drivers. I totally agree on so many levels.

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

Dont even have to think...

YES YES YES... of course they should, fortunately some drivers are very good and are aware of bikes in their mirrors but then of course there are so many that have no idea we exist, ive even had driver lets not mention whether it was a man or woman (woman) who moved into the nearside lane so I went to overtake and then she swerved into me as I was overtaking with nothing in front of her. Have had other people (men) do similar things, got to say one day when im old and craggy... er, im going to film drivers on mobile phones... god I coud write all night. Ride safe all

Reply to this Topic
GReynolds

Dec 12

GReynolds says:

They already do...

There effectively is a restricted licence coming soon.  16 year olds who pass a moped test will be able to drive a light quadricycle on a the road come January.  www.rushlane.com/aixam-coupe-slight-quadricycle-for-drivers-aged-16-and-above-1251745.html

And remember, you can't drive a car on the road by yourself without passing a test, but you can ride a motorcycle forever without ever passing even a theory test.  Personally I think a theory test should be required before the CBT.

(PS, License???)

Reply to this Topic
MrGiggle

Nov 12

MrGiggle says:

Of course

Im just going to make the point about power and Speed. Most of my Friends have now past and drive Clio's etc. These cars will easily do 100+ yet I can only ride a 125cc max around 70mph and that's pushing it. As I am now 17 I have to wait at least 4 years before I can ride anything above 46bhp (and that's with 2 test not one)yet if MONEY WAS NO OBJECT someone who as just past their driving test can drive a serious sports car, eg Ferrari and Lotus

Reply to this Topic
F0ulOli

Jun 12

F0ulOli says:

Theory vs Practice

Yes, its unfair that a young kid can jump in a Ferrari but not ride a Fireblade, but stopping kids jumping in Ferraris isn't the answer.

The reality is that a legal young kid, who doesn't have a bucket load of money can't jump in a Ferrari, or any other super fast car thanks to the insurance industry - and without the law getting involved, it would stop them getting on a Fireblade too.

Someone who doesn't do legal isn't going to be stopped by a law - so what is the point of stopping the very small numbers of kids with the cash to drive a car with superbike performance? Jelousy?

Reply to this Topic
Rocker66

Jan 03

Rocker66 says:

I would like to hear on what grounds those that voted "NO" base their argument

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle