Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should car drivers should get restricted driving licences? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Should car drivers should get restricted driving licences?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

System  says:

Poll: Should car drivers should get restricted driving licences?

With new rules coming into force in January, it's now going to be even more difficult to get your bike license, especially for younger riders. But, with so many bike accidents being caused by car drivers, is this really the right direction, or should we be doing more to educate car drivers? There's no limits on car licenses, allowing a 17-year old...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 December 2012 15:50)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
yammy2011

Nov 12

yammy2011 says:

restricting cars

how would you have felt if you were subjected to a similar car restriction?

Reply to this Topic
cymboy

Oct 09

cymboy says:

Cars

Maybe if the gov't introduced a new class of car aimed at the young and newly qualified with either one or no passenger seat and restricted power not only could it reduce accidents involving cars but stimulate the car industry to provide a range of suitable vehicles, maybe creating jobs?  This would then at least mirror what they are doing to motorcyclists and at least provide a balanced approach to road safety; if road safety for all is indeed the aim. Suspicious much?

Reply to this Topic
Ciarono

Dec 12

Ciarono says:

Yep there is a catch

@ claret everywhere.

Compulsory single occupancy cars?  Like that will ever happen.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Mikeinho

Jan 09

Mikeinho says:

It's logical... is it not?

Realistically, applying similar power restrictions across all vehicle types with significance given to length of licence held would be a good idea.

I'll bet there are riders/drivers out there half my age better than me. Age shouldn't be a factor in the issuing of licences, apart from a minimum age due to legal difficulties in the event of custodial sentencing for offenders.

Why are the EU making these rule changes? I suspect it is for health & safety reasons (death & injury through inexperience/over-confidence). Fair enough, but why do they not then apply the same principal to car drivers?

I'm not familiar with the EU's consultation process, so I can't say if vehicle manufacturers have a say in the matter... but I suspect they lobby the b'jesus out of the EU bureaucrats whenever the issue is raised.

I think it's long past due that we introduce regular retesting for ALL road users without prejudice, and introduce a compulsory advanced test for those who achieved a 'full' licence many moons ago.

OK, so this has a financial impact on each licence holder, like a super-tax for drivers. However, if through retesting the average competency of drivers improved, this would reduce the amount of accidents, and subsequently insurance premiums would go down.

So, in the long run, society benefits through less deaths & injuries on our roads, and our pockets bulge with cost savings from cheaper insurance.

I'm not a fan of the police state, bureaucrats, or nanny state health & safety mentalists. However, I'd be happy to retest on a regular basis (say every 5 years) if it meant that all those incompetent drivers I see every single day were suspended until they improved their skills.

Who's with me? Anyone? No? Okay... fine.

Reply to this Topic
banik

Feb 13

banik says:

This would definitely help people becoming aware of the safety issue and there would be responsible driving as well as biking. A car owner should learn about responsibility as well as manners, especially the car show etiquette.

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

Car Drivers

Yep they all need to go through a progressive system.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices