Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: I don't do trackdays because... General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: I don't do trackdays because...

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: I don't do trackdays because...

More and more people are doing trackdays now, with thousands owning bikes that never even see a road. Many even venture further afield, with a host of companies offering British riders the chance to ride in Spain. But still, there's a large group of riders who have never ridden on track, and have no intention of ever doing so! So, we ask...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 December 2012 15:50)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Darkrapture

Nov 09

Darkrapture says:

Time

Just not enough hours in the day, loads of things I'd like to do but never get round to.

One day...

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

track day tyres

You don't need special tyres for a track day.

Fuel you would use on a ride out anyway.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Do a "track day" at Santa pod. A whole day's racing is only approx £25.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

On my planet....

the nearest Track is some 14 Light years away... NA NU NA NU.

Reply to this Topic
ColonelClaw

Nov 12

ColonelClaw says:

Need training first

I don't think there's any way that I'm good enough to do a track day, I wouldn't want to become a mobile chicane. Would I would like to do, however, is one of those track training days with Ron Haslam/Jamie Whittam/etc where you use a provided race bike and they teach you how to ride it properly. I imagine I'd learn more at one of those in 5 minutes than during a whole track day.

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

track days

You give the impression that track days are the norm  and  the number of riders taking part are on the increase but in fact they still  represent a small minorty of riders but maybe a large % of your readers and the other majority, at least 90% plus, have no intention  of doing a track day at all.  For whatever reason it just doesnt appeal.

Personally i believe that whilst most riders are quite happy as they are  some of them  would rather spend thier monies on further training rather than on the track.

Much less chance of bending the bike. and safer all round.

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

I have rode at  Cadwell park in the 60s with a friend who was pretty good , used his van & bikes so it was a cheap weekend - for me ! . No doubt  riders would find a bit of  tuition on a track day useful  , but on todays roads where speeds are being cut  there would not be that much of an advantage . The cost is the main thing especially if you use a proper track-day bike and trailor  or  van it there . Most  guys who I know do it are mainly car drivers or have not got a bike license , but  now  I have a couple of big bikes I find most of my thrills on the open road , my challenge is every day riding  24 / 7 .

Reply to this Topic
benCBR6

Jan 08

benCBR6 says:

"worried about wrecking my bike"

Very true. I'm definitely not surprised about the poll answers! I did my first 2 or 3 track days on my road going CBR600 and really didn't want to risk crashing. I then got a GSXR track bike which was quick and a bit tatty and it was a total revelation. A little excursion (or 2!) to the kitty litter or the occasional bump or scrape suddenly wasn't really an issue for me as I wasn't so precious about keeping the bike in mint condition. (Not that I wasn't a little pi$$ed when I did drop it mind! eh, if you're not crashing you're not trying... right??? ;-) ) I definitely think 2 years of track days improved my bike control and confidence on the track. My advice if you're worried about trashing your road bike but still want to do track days is get a cheap 2nd hand track bike for £2K or something - though obviously watch out for the usual signs of damage or theft!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices