Skip to content

Ask an Expert Mod 2 Test - Moving Off Observations? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Mod 2 Test - Moving Off Observations?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

BikeConvert

Dec 12

BikeConvert says:

Mod 2 Test - Moving Off Observations?

Hi all!

Within the past month I've completed my CBT, theory and mod 1 tests with no problems, however have a question about observations when moving off for the mod 2 test I have this week (and all future rides of course).

When moving off, say from traffic lights or in a queue of traffic, what observations should be done?

On the mod 1 test I did a right shoulder check before each time the bike moved and passed that with no minors. With one instructor on the road I did just a right shoulder check before moving off each time and this wasn't commented on. However, another instructor has commented that checking both mirrors and not the right shoulder is correct (unless I feel it's necessary to check one/both shoulders e.g. if I've seen a cyclist approaching etc).

I'm happy all my mirror/should checks are fine for changing lanes/overtaking/junctions/roundabouts, but I wouldn't want to fail for not getting the basic moving off bit right!

Any other general tips for the mod 2 test also greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance. :smile

James

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 December 2012 11:05)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AntStamp69

Sep 12

AntStamp69 says:

mod 2

I recently passed, and generally just done the mirrors before pulling away from lights, but I was using the time while stationary to look at what was going on around me. The best advice I can give is relax and enjoy the ride and not be tempted to rush a manouvre.

Best of luck:smile

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Hi James

Welcome to the site.

As far as setting off from junctions, traffic lights etc it's simply down to the direction you're going. Left = Left Lifesaver, Right = Right Lifesaver, straight on depends on whether you feel vulnerable, ie there's a lane to either side where someone may cut in, if there is, a lifesaver would cover your backside, If it's single lane traffic there's no real need to do anything other than a quick glance in the mirrors. Again, if you think a quick glance as you set off is necessary (over your right shoulder) you won't be getting cribbed for doing one as long as you don't faff around!

Best of luck, Happy Riding:smile

Reply to this Topic
BikeConvert

Dec 12

BikeConvert says:

Thanks

Thanks for both of your quick replies guys, they make sense (straight on and/or simply creeping forwards in slow moving traffic after having come to a stop is/was the issue for me).

I generally find that you seem to just get a 'feel' for where to make the observations when already moving, so fingers crossed the examiner agrees on that! :laugh:

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Mod 2

Can't really comment on the mod 2 a bit after my time.

Although my advice about observations, do what you are taught but also think of it as common sense. It really depends on the position you are in at the time, lets say at traffic lights.

Do an observation where ever the hazards are, if anyone or anything could pass on the inside or outside you need to check both sides.

If say you were turning left you could position towards the curb and shut the door on a cyclist, make them pull up behind you, that puts all the hazards on your right, but having said that when you turn left you may a little later still need to look left for pedestrians that may be crossing the road.

I can't see why you would get penalised for looking for something that is not there, because you are anticpating that something may suddenly appear.

So as far as the mod 2 goes I would imagine there is a minimum requirement or the obvious observations that you must do. So I can't see why doing more is a problem only when appropriate other wise you will look like a nodding dog.

OH YES!!!! :lol:

Observations are a key point to your survival.

Hope this helps.:smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

obs

I tend to look over both shoulders when setting off from lights, especially where pedestrians might be near. Never know when a kid might try crossing the road at the last minute and come running up your blind spot. Better safe than sorry!

I tend to keep an eye on the mirrors when I stop so I know what/who's coming up behind me, then just before moving off (or just before I know the lights are going to change) I'll check both shoulders and get ready to move.

Whatever makes you feel safe!

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

I was told to look

over both shoulders by my instructor.

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Moving off observations

When at traffic lights, look in all directions for emergency services, they can appear from any direction very quickly and will go through the lights on red.

Also look all around at the traffic to anticipate who is going to do what, sometimes you can tell when a driver is going to jump the lights.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

By the time

You'd done all those looks the lights would've gone back to Red!:blink:

All that's needed is what I put in my last post, your general "awareness" should be awake enough to hear the sirens/see the lights whilst you're waiting, if you miss them your Lifesaver shouldn't. Going straight on means you're moving Away from any pedestrians that are trying to sneak up on you and your mirrors should've let you know there's a nutter speeding up behind you so that should make you want to do a lifesaver (I hope!). Sitting at a green light or a gap in traffic faffing about looking over both shoulders can be concieved as "Failing to make due Progress" do that a couple of times & you get a big X on your test sheet.

Look when you need to not when you think the examiner wants you to.

Finding this a little diffcult to put in writing quickly, this reply isn't meant to be rude or patronising sorry if it reads like it is

Happy Riding out there:smile   

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

mirros

when riding for your test id say it is overly mirror use..if i am out and about in lincs, i glance in mirrors occasionally, mostly after turn i make on junctions etc, and lifesavers in Grimsby are a must! the zzr has great mirrors, the bandit less so..

Reply to this Topic
StewyBill

Jun 11

StewyBill says:

Mod 2

I always look all around and then under the bike !!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices