Skip to content

Ask an Expert What to expect? Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > What to expect?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

BikerToBe

Dec 12

BikerToBe says:

What to expect?

Afternoon all, first post so hello an' all that :)

(I'm 24, would be stored  garage, low crime area etc)
I'm looking to have a full license as of march next year, primarily with the aim of ending up astride a KTM Duke 690, and have been looking around insurance comparisons and the like but I always end up with 1 of 2 results; 

Unable to provide a quote due to no license plate or bike license,

Or prohibitively expensive quotes that I'm sure just can't be right! (+£2500 for comp)

Basically I was here to ask if I can expect any difference when I come to actually having all the necessaries (I was under the impression it was cheaper than owning a car), or do I have to endure starting at a 300cc and getting bike-specific NCBs?

Cheers for any help,

BTB

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 December 2012 15:15)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Usually

you'll need bike-specific NCB. NCB from car driving likely won't transfer to a bike.

Best advice I can give is try getting quotes for an (older) "average" type middleweight bike (Bandit 600 / 650, Hornet 600, Fazer 600, Kawasaki's ER5 / ER6) which will be more sensible insurance-wise.

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

insurance quotes

If you want to see what kinda quotes you could get nearer the time, enter in details as if you've just passed. I.e. instead of saying "license not obtained" say "license held for 1 month/<1 year". If you desperately need a license number then scour some well known seller sites for the bike you want & run a quote on that plate.

I passed two months ago & got myself a 2010 Kawasaki ER-6F (650cc). Best quote I got was £700, but I had been given quotes ranging up to £3500 so it depends where you're looking! I actually found MCNCompare to be pretty good with quotes.

Good luck!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

I passed 2 years ago

got a hornet 600 older one third party fire theft was 270 but the insurer took into account i been driving a car a since 17. I was 24 when i passed my bike test. The car driving made a hell of a difference. second year in i payed £125. Costs about £400 for a similar year 1998 cbr600 to give you an idear of the difference compaired to £125 for the hornet.

I couldnt transfer my car ncb to bike but my experience did count for something. I wouldnt say its that much cheaper owning a big bike compaired to a car. Maybe a 125 but not a bigger bike. There not that much better on fuel compaired to a modern car and go through tyres quicker and they require more costly services. Plus the cost of riding gear etc. 

The bikes listed by aidieR are still very quick bikes expecially for a new rider trust me

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
BikerToBe

Dec 12

BikerToBe says:

Update

The first post I put in I said 2500 for the KTM duke 690, after a proper quote-compare, job change and some security product pre-planning I've got the update:

Duke 690 - 1700
Duke 200 - 1100
Kawa 300 - ~900 based on a quote for a 250r

So... Not quite as desperate as I feared

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool