Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi and Casey Stoner clash over Laguna ’08 again MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi and Casey Stoner clash over Laguna ’08 again

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi and Casey Stoner clash over Laguna ’08 again

Long running tension and animosity between Valentino Rossi and Casey Stoner is showing no sign of letting up, despite the Australian’s retirement from MotoGP at the end of the season. The trigger for another clash has once again been the controversial and famous clash between the pair at Laguna Seca in 2008. In an interview with Dainese’s Legends magazine, Ducati flop Rossi...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 December 2012 11:14)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Si749

Oct 03

Si749 says:

agree with arry ace

its only a legendary put down if its factually correct

7 WC's v 2 WC's

coming from someone who couldnt hack it anymore its just laughable at best and always will be

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

His ambition...

... was to get round the corner without crashing & complete an overtake... unfortunately, as he admitted, he made a mistake & his talent deserted him...

"its only a legendary put down if its factually correct"

...factually correct enough for you?... or are you saying he deliberately crashed? He made the remark after being knocked off & was rightly a little pissed off... big deal... he went on to win the championship... & the guy who's ambition was to win a championship for Ducati had to admit he couldn't ride it like Stoner could. Have I got any facts wrong?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
velopete

Apr 05

velopete says:

arryace

Rossi didn't hear it because he went to the garage with his helmet on in case Stoner clobbered him, because he wasn't man enough to face him with it off.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

jerez 05

Absolute stuff and nonsense wosi, concerning jerez 05 anyway. I watched that race live with no horse in the race and found the move inexplicable, there is certainly no way that rossi could make that corner at that speed on anything like a racing line, as exhibited by them both ending on the other side of the track which gibernau who was already turning in had to do to avoid being torpedoed.

Imo jerez 05 is the one totally indefensible move rossi has ever made, particularly as it was totally deliberate. Jerez 2011 whilst a substantial error of judgement was a mistake, and at the corkscrew in 08 he had no option but to proceed as he did once he nearly lost the bike; I don't see how stoner could be expected to be happy about being nearly taken out through no fault of his own whilst on the racing line on the track which is what the crux of this has always been. This current thread is apparently a beat-up of an old story which rossi and dainese have apparently been at pains to say; perhaps rossi doesn't feel quite as triumphal about it now that he realises that stoner was bringing a knife to a gunfight, or a ducati to a honda and yamaha fight anyway.

The bautista pass was rough and one stoner incident I won't defend, particularly after stoner's sanctimony concerning the CRT rider in the practice incident the same weekend, but a pass he at least actually completed on a feasible line without taking out bautista and without evasive action from bautista, and was less robust than the bradl pass on hayden in the same race. It bore some similarities to the pedrosa/simoncelli incident last year for which poor marco was blamed, although not by me.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

I agree with what you've said there apart from the Bautista pass. It was hard yes, but it wasn't dirty and there was no attempt to shove Bautista out of the way with a deliberate collision. He went into a gap that got closed as Bautista turned in but that's how passes are made. And he did apologise to Bautista for it after the race, so no hypocrisy shown either.

Sometimes these guys can't win with people on here, not that that matters. You have people accusing them of being 'too nice' to each other with no hard racing, saying they need Rossi at the front to shake them up. As soon as there is a bit of paint swapping, the same people are up in arms and calling for penalties - particularly if it is Stoner involved - as you say, no-one cared about Bradl's pass on Hayden.

Imagine if Gibernau had done that to Rossi at Jerez 05 - or Stoner to Rossi at Jerez 11. Different headlines and standards would have been employed then no doubt.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

bautista pass

I don't think the bautista pass was all that hard by most standards, but stoner had put himself up for some time as a paragon of clean racing, particularly with his attitude to petrucci in practice that weekend when he felt the need to police that rider's behaviour, so his criticism for that pass was a fair cop imo..

Reply to this Topic
Milkybars

Feb 11

Milkybars says:

Methinks

With nothing to do except taking to Twitter and pissing off the real hard men of Oi Oi Oi Land, the lil effeminate Aussie is going to try and compete with Michelle Jenneke and her sexy routine. It is not a far fetched idea since he already has the stature of a girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_9J2oJjjd4

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

methinks that

as the americans say you've got nothing milkybars, and how effeminate riders appear is not somewhere I would go were I arguing from your position, but at jerez 2011 I seem to recall that pansy stoner picking up his motogp bike unaided, whereas that valentino bloke required the assistance of 8 or 10 marshalls to do so.  

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Ha ha

yeah right, and for how long after did we have listen to stoner pissing and whining about it? Too bloody long, as usual!

Reply to this Topic
luke 7R

Jan 08

luke 7R says:

Oh yes that legendary put down…. It would have been a good one if he’d thought about it himself but I think he’d been watching dvd’s in his motor home because the last line of the film Blow (with Jonny Depp) is the main character saying that  “my Ambition outweighed my talent”. Not long now before we no longer have to hear from fun bobby (casey stoner) :)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices