Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi and Casey Stoner clash over Laguna ’08 again MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi and Casey Stoner clash over Laguna ’08 again

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi and Casey Stoner clash over Laguna ’08 again

Long running tension and animosity between Valentino Rossi and Casey Stoner is showing no sign of letting up, despite the Australian’s retirement from MotoGP at the end of the season. The trigger for another clash has once again been the controversial and famous clash between the pair at Laguna Seca in 2008. In an interview with Dainese’s Legends magazine, Ducati flop Rossi...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 December 2012 11:14)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
glentraman

Mar 05

glentraman says:

i mentioned this in 08 when it happened, but rossi basically brake tested stoner and this was mentioned at the time on tv it was bbc or mcn i can't remember. brake tested means that if a racer is up your chuff you brake earlier than usual like rossi did so that the racer behind you shit's himself and takes avoiding action risky as he could hit you but it happens and i'm talking from experience as i've done it and been the victim of a i am a club racer, i felt that rossi could'nt handle the fact that it was inevitable that stoner was going to win so he did the dirty on stoner, seems to be an italian trait when pressure is on lol, i agree with a previous comment made earlier by someone else that stoner owned rossi pretty much all the time, i am a fan of rossi but stoner is or was  in another league

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Or another way to look at it glen

is that Rossi used superior race craft to confound stoner, and win. Which is also why he went on to take the title in 08 and 09 despite stoner allegedly "owning" that period. Hmm, seems like a pretty flimsy ownership to me glen.

Reply to this Topic
vvlf

Dec 12

vvlf says:

CBR11x

There only one thing to say, ITS A HARD MANS SPORT. and stoner was never one of them.

Reply to this Topic
ratchetman

Jun 11

ratchetman says:

LAGUNA

Rossi was on the slower bike, but his race craft has in general always been excellent. Unlike Caseys who as at Laguna cracked under the pressure . Rossi has always used  the media to his advantage and at laguna he really exploited Caseys bad loser attitude. Rossi is aurguably the greatest of all time. this is not only down to his championships but also his race craft, use of media and charisma 

Reply to this Topic
ratchetman

Jun 11

ratchetman says:

LAGUNA

Rossi was on the slower bike, but his race craft has in general always been excellent. Unlike Caseys who as at Laguna cracked under the pressure . Rossi has always used  the media to his advantage and at laguna he really exploited Caseys bad loser attitude. Rossi is aurguably the greatest of all time. this is not only down to his championships but also his race craft, use of media and charisma 

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Nice cherry picking of facts and personality traits to suit your purpose.

Stoner a bad loser attitude or just unhappy with some of Rossi's moves - there's a difference. The helicopter shot that showed Rossi pushing Stoner to the edge of the track, more than once, on the start finish straight no longer seems to be on youtube or the net. More crude and dirty tactics than 'racecraft'. Stoner also refuted the suggestion in the post race interview that Rossi brake tested him at the corner he ran off at (sure as hell looked like it - he did it to Lorenzo at Barcelona) He simply said 'no - my mistake'. Yet he's a bad loser for that.

Stoner cracked under pressure? They made one mistake each in that race. Rossi got it hopelessly wrong at the top of the corkscrew and ran off track through going in too fast. He could have taken himself or both of them out. He was lucky and got away with it. Stoner got it wrong and ran off track but hit deep gravel which pulled the bike over. He didn't get away with it.

Rossi's charisma? - the charisma that saw him remain sitting on his bike in parc ferme, refusing to talk to anyone, refusing to remove his helmet and refusing to congratulate Lorenzo, because he was sulking after Lorenzo beat him in his home race. No foul play of cheap tricks from Lorenzo, he just beat him. A demonstration of the charisma of a good and sporting racer?

Rossi bitched and moaned about Elias' 'dangerous riding' after Elias beat him in the penultimate race in 2006. Bad loser or justified because of the way Elias was riding? - or purely hypocritical after the way he took Gibernau out at the last corner at Jerez. Next race Rossi 'cracked under pressure' and threw both his bike and the chance of the title down the tarmac at Valencia.

Laguna 2008 Rossi 'beat Stoner through racecraft' even though Stoner 'had the fastest bike' - why not mention that it was the worst handling bike. Laguna 2011 and 2012, the Ducati was still the fastest bike. Didn't notice it at the front end of the grid though.

Whichever situation from history you want to pick up on and criticise a rider for their behaviour at that time, yo can equally do the same for other riders. But as usual, you gloss over occassions when Rossi has been in those situations and instead concentrate on regurgutating them to deride the achievements and ability of any rider that had his measure.

Like someone else pointed out, wonder who it will be next year.

Can't wait to see Rossi's reaction if Marquez takes him off the track in a race - especially if Marquez justifies it with 'that's racing Valentino, that's racing'...

Reply to this Topic
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

Blimey I'm...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

There's more interesting, news worthy things happening in my garden than this old twaddle!

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

hard men

Sure, stoner is a timid rider,  he only won 23 races for ducati on a bike where the best hope for any other rider was an occasional placing, by the method of taking it to the edge of crashing on every corner (Jerry Burgess's analysis of his riding method on the ducati, not mine) which valentino rossi, one of the hardest men ever admittedly, was not prepared to emulate. He rode the honda at PI, a circuit where balls are the main prerequisite a few weeks after a significant injury and surgery a second a lap faster than his opposition, including setting the fastest time in practice 5 minutes after crashing his number 1 bike? And he made a pass at laguna seca 2011 which that noted wimp kevin schwantz said was the best and bravest he has ever seen?

I see no reason for the toughness of riders to be judged by how charmingly malicious they can be off track rather than what they do  on it.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

OK, Stoner was a 'soft-cock' who somehow managed to win 2 world championships and beat Rossi fair and square in: wins, poles, fastest-laps and podiums during the years they raced together. Have another beer or Kool-Aid.

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

Winning the slagging war too!

Twenty-three... nil!

Ha de fkn ha!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN