Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi and Casey Stoner clash over Laguna ’08 again MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi and Casey Stoner clash over Laguna ’08 again

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi and Casey Stoner clash over Laguna ’08 again

Long running tension and animosity between Valentino Rossi and Casey Stoner is showing no sign of letting up, despite the Australian’s retirement from MotoGP at the end of the season. The trigger for another clash has once again been the controversial and famous clash between the pair at Laguna Seca in 2008. In an interview with Dainese’s Legends magazine, Ducati flop Rossi...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 December 2012 11:14)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Rossi

Rossi has an astounding race record but he has been beaten to a world record by Stoner whilst Rossi was at his peak and on competitive machinery. Rossi simply couldn't get the ducati to work whilst Stoner adapted his riding to get the best out of the bike. Rossi is on slightly shaky ground trying to goud Stoner about the Laguna Seca 2008 race when he has 2 years of near abject failure on the ducati whereas Stoner scored a world championship with that manufacturer.

Next year we will see if Rossi's mantle has slipped his grip or not. Until then it's not certain if Rossi is still a potential championship rider or just going to run hot and cold from time to time.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Luke...

"And now, there's almost not enough to stay alive. But I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent. There are no more white horses or pretty ladies at my door."

It sounded cool but do you really think that's the 1st time anyone ever mentioned ambition outweighing talent?...

One that has been around for decades (at least) & where it possibly originated... "A lot of people are in a position of power because their ambition far exceeded their talent." - Anon

Stoner just found a very apt moment to coin an appropriate phrase... still sounded cool (& better than saying "you're shit"), but just how appropriate was to unfold over the subsequent 2 years.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
lwright89

Jan 13

lwright89 says:

He is the greatest of this generation not just in terms of how may titles he has won but the fact that people watch moto gp just to see Rossi beause he is not only a great racer but also a great personality! Stoner used to praise Rossi as his idol but as soon as he started losing to him he started to insult him he has no right to! Other young riders respect him and not just the Italian ones who are his friends. Rossi has brought a whole generation of  viewers to this sport and no other rider has ever done that and  no matter whether you support him or not you must surely respect him for this. I apologise for my bias towards his talet but surely no moto gp fan can doubt his contribution to this sport.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Iwright...

"he started to insult him he has no right to!"

Was Stoner the one that said Rossi wasn't trying hard enough & then got on his bike & had to eat his words or was it the other way around?...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

... & I think it's Rossi that dredged up LC 2008 again slinging more veiled insults... the race he should have been penalised for.

"if a rider accidentally leaves the track then he may rejoin it at the place indicated by the officials or at a place which does not provide an advantage to him... Any infringement of this rule during... the race will be penalised by a change of position decided by the Race Direction. A board will be displayed for the rider on the finish line during a maximum of 5 laps. If the rider did not go back after the board has been presented 5 times, he will be penalised by a ride through. Further penalties (such as penalty points - fine - ride through -disqualification - withdrawal of Championship points) may also be imposed."

He left the track (not in question)... he did the overtake as they tipped in for the 1st corner at the top of the corkscrew (not in question)... he was going too fast for the 2nd part of the chicane at the top of the corkscrew which is why he ran off track (i.e. he didn't intentionally run off track & wasn't pushed)... hopefully not in question... if he'd been able to brake for the corner he would not have been able to make the pass... therefore he took advantage... he rejoined the track in an unsafe manner (almost taking out Stoner)... he did not relinquish the place (not in question)... with any other form of motorsport at the time he would have been penalised.

It was not his fault that he got away with it, but because either race direction missed it or, more likely, because they decided not to do their job. To remind people & cite it as the turning point for a championship he won is odd to say the least.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle