Skip to content

General Traction Control and other computer aided rider aids General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Traction Control and other computer aided rider aids

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Traction Control and other computer aided rider aids

Am I the only one who doesn't want any of them? is it the case of the bike needs them or the rider? and if its the later then why are they not offered as options instead of standards (hence pushing the price of new bikes through the roof).

i know the arguments for them, but as an experienced rider i still don't want them. i can't be alone? discuss

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 December 2012 14:10)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

traction control

My bike (zzr1200) has traction control,... its called a throttle. And ABS? yep, that too, they're called Tokico brake calipers.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

IMO

If you think you can ride an HP4 or Panigale on the road in a zone between the traction control activation point and the point of a crash, you're probably a danger to yourself and others.

Mostly, they have track settings fro track work which will far exceed the talents of a normal rider.

And ABS is mainly an option on most models

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

nowt like

riding with the seat of yer pants, bollox to all thes fancy gizmos get it right and bikes are just sheer joy, get it wrong and oh deary me.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Thats my point ANichol

I guess my point is the same as yours?but with a different conclusion. realise your limitations and ride something more suitable to your skills ,but don't over stretch yourself horsepower wise and expect computers to save you

Despite the fact i can't afford (or want) either a Panigale or a  HP4. neither do I need (or could use)190+ bhp on the road or a track without traction control so hence i ride 130bhp and have as much fun without needing a computer to save my arse!

my only experience of ABS was on an  BMW back in the late 80's and to be honest it is was piss easy to lock up. more so than modern unassisted brakes. and yes it is an option atm but "Mr Eurocrat" wants to make it compulsary.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

why dont you just take out the fuse for the abs and other stuff? so it wont work but you can still ride the bike

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Rider aids

As with the four-wheeled world the addition of such devices can have safety benefits although they do often sanitise the driving / riding experience. We have all grown to accept such aids on cars and they are now getting more common on bikes. The good thing is, at the moment at least, we have some choice in what aids we have.  Because I grew up on bikes made in the 70's I believe I have a better feel for what a bike is doing because my skills were developed riding bikes that didn't handle well on tyres that didn't grip - at least when compared to todays machines.  I like the fact that my ealry riding experience has given me those skills but that doesn't mean that I do not want to take advantage of some modern technology.   

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

VFR

VFR

Must admit I'd like to be able to turn off the linked brakes for while and then back on again just to see exactly what the difference their is between with and without.

Random thought just wondering but….. What if you had a bike with all the gizmos and then moved back to a bike without them I wonder if you could make a case for duty of care against the gizmo bike manufacturer ie you did not retrain me to ride a manual bike after your all signing and dancing bike therefore you have failed in your duty of care.... bit like the cat in the microwave argument. Sorry going slowly insane.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
NotAnotherHill

Jun 11

These are all...

W ell and good when the bike is new. However 10 years down the line, these are all things that can start to go wrong and make buying older bikes unviable. I can only afford 10 year old bikes and want them as simple as possible. Besides, I'm quite able to handle the searing power of my FZS600 without all these aids: knowing I'm not immortal is all the rider aid I need.

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

Good luck

Wi' that one BaldE

Reply to this Topic
weasel64

Mar 07

weasel64 says:

personaly

only ever ridden 1 bike with any kind of control on it ( apart from mesen )

ron haslam race school day on a cbr 600 , fuggin hated it !!!

went into ' club in 'a couple of mph too fast , thought ' dab the rear brake & knock the couple of mph off ' , BIG mistake the front brakes also kick in !!! , wasnt expecting that , threw me corner line right off ..

hate em , rider aids ???? , throttle = right hand , rear brake = right boot , front brake = right hand + i control the pressure  of all 3 :wink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices