Skip to content

Ask an Expert KTM Duke 125 front brake light switch issues Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > KTM Duke 125 front brake light switch issues

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

PaulFargo

Oct 12

PaulFargo says:

KTM Duke 125 front brake light switch issues

I have twice been back to the dealers in the last few months to get this changed, because of the brake light not coming on. I decided to test the old switch once off the bike and discovered it still worked. I realised it's actually the little rubber boot over the switch is not uncompressing due to the cold weather. Is there a spray on lubricant that will stop the rubber becoming affected by these cold winter months?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 December 2012 16:42)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

boot

Never come across a rubber boot return spring,i suspect the internal return spring and plunger are seizing up,not knowing your switch set up have you tried squirting wd40 inside the rubber boot ?

Silicon oil spray or grease will keep the rubber supple.

Have you any pics?

Reply to this Topic
PaulFargo

Oct 12

PaulFargo says:

switch

yeah it's not a rubber return spring, I guess it's just supposed to be a waterproof cover. I will give the silicon spray a try.Thanks

Reply to this Topic
Rog990

Aug 12

Rog990 says:

same problem.....

My lad has the Duke 125 and he has had the same problem with the brake switch, KTM changed it 2 weeks ago and its started its problems again already. 

Reply to this Topic
hawk750

Apr 09

hawk750 says:

You only

need one brake to work a brake light, as long as the rear brake works the brake light that's fine, just remove the front switch & the lead that runs to it, if it's not fitted it doesn't have to work.

There's never been one on my bike from new :wink:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

lights

hawk750,is your bike pre 1985?

http://mot.fasttrackmotorcycles.co.uk/25/motorcycle-mot-checks-lights-and-signals/

Check number 3,

All the testers check both levers.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
PaulFargo

Oct 12

PaulFargo says:

ROG990

I sorted this issue, it seems the switch is fine, its the cold weather affects the cover, give it a squeeze then pull the lever, it will probably work. I covered it with silicon grease and so far it's been ok

Reply to this Topic
sc72

Mar 13

sc72 says:

Re: KTM Duke 125 front brake light switch issues

I had the same problem, KTM have a fix! Simply remove the wire around the rubber boot, remove the boot and throw it in the bin - works perfectly well. The problem is that the rubber stiffens in cold weather.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices