You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Ducati Starting Problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

99ducatist2

Dec 12

99ducatist2 says:

Ducati Starting Problem

I have a starting issue with my 99 Ducati ST2. At atrt up, it "kicks-back" and resets the clock to "0". Like, there is an instantaneous short.  It only happens at start up, mostly when outside temp is cold. I have replaced all the battery cables with heavier gauge wire, as well as providing a secondary ground point for the battery, and installed a lithium ion battery. The problem has improved significantly, but it still does happen at times. I have chased all my wiring and cannot find visual signs of corrosion or a short. The bike always starts however, and it rarely happens in warm seasons. I've also installed a lithium ion battery, which is great, and has alleviated neutral light pulsing/flickering at idle, but I would like to remedy the starting kick back/electric issue once and for all. Any ideas?!!!!:sleep:

Regards,

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 December 2012 20:41)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

kickback

Welcome,from what you say you have improved it with a good battery,in winter engines turn over slower when starting.So what is this good battery voltage (1) before switching on (2) switched on (3) when cranking (4) at 5,000rpm with all lights on?

Kickback can be a slow engine turnover or sparking too soon.     

Reply to this Topic
99ducatist2

Dec 12

99ducatist2 says:

Kickback

I have not run voltage test on the battery to answer you question(s). The battery was recommended by the dealer and it has a higher CCA rating than the OEM battery (Yuasa) I used to replace every two years. I concur that engines turn slower in winter, but to the point of causing a short in the circuit? Are you suggesting replacing the plugs to retard/delay spark?

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Kickback

Hi you say you have upgraded the wiring to your atarter system, yet you don't mention any servicing to the starter motor itself and I get the impression you have not replaced the starter relay. Both items which lose efficiency over time and yet get ignored.

Kickback, does this occur through the induction side or the exhaust side? 

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

starting problem

NO,replacing the spark plugs will not delay/retard the spark.Also replacing Yuasa batteries every two/three years is not normal.You should be finding out why you need all these batteries,that`s why i asked for the voltage readings.Next step if these readings are ok then what`s the voltage reading at the startermotor when cranking?It could be the starter relay switch as smidget mentions but tests should be done before replacing parts at will. 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Ducati ST2 1999

Hi 99ducatist2 and welcome to the site:smile

You haven't got a short,all that is happening on the odd occasion that the engine doesn't make it over it first compression stroke and then back fires is the voltage drop to the CDI is to much so the system resets itself as if you had disconnected the battery(as the guys have already pointed out it still could be poor charging system or battery?) Now the other reason it could be a poor starter is the camshaft timing,but i am not talking the standard timing,i don't no how long you have owned the bike or how long this has been going on.But on quite a lot of ST2s the cams were not dialed in properly at the factory,all these bikes run perfect,the only problem they had was poor starting,i will not go into detail on how to dial the cams in(one single in each head)as it is way to complicated for a lay man and beyond a lot of mechanics skills.But a good Ducati dealership should know of this problem and will be able to dial the cams in to stop that back fire and cure the poor starting,and when done although it is a very small change most people say how much smoother and torque the engine feels.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:      

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
99ducatist2

Dec 12

99ducatist2 says:

ST2 starting problem

I appreciate everyone's input and will follow thru one at a time. I never thought of starter relay. Good Call, smidget!!! Regarding sparking too soon, I failed to mention that about 4-5 years ago I installed Ducati racing chip and canisters on the bike. I wonder if that change may have affected cam dial timing? I have owned the bike since 2004 and did not have this issue. I am cofident the relay has never been replaced. The local Ducati dealer mechanic claims he used to work for Ducati in Italy. In response to jafa90's original response, since 1980, all motorcycles marketed in the U.S. have all lights on all the time. There is no headlight switch, unless the European version of the control is installed by the owner.

Again, I am thankful for everyone's feedback, and will keep you posted.

Reply to this Topic
99ducatist2

Dec 12

99ducatist2 says:

ST2 starting problem

smidget, it seems the kickback is at induction. Also, please verify the attached pictures. Is this the starter relay part you mentioned? This part is located underneath the bike by the starter.

Thanks!!!

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

replies

Your not taking in the advice,ok dipped light may be on all the time but put your main beam on as well,also if your low on voltage (amperage really) you`ll be replacing parts you don`t need as you have already done.:blink:

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Ducati ST2 1999

Hi again

The suggestion of the cam timing being out from the factory was only if the bike had this problem from new or your first ownership (as you never stated when the problem started) NO chipping the CDI and fitting sports type mufflers can't affect mechanical timing but could well be the problem you have now due to poor fueling after fitting said parts(would have been nice you giving all information the first time instead of dribs and drabs)its more like a pud quiz,can i have the next clue please:upset: .

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Battery not up to the task.

I reckon you started with a failing lead-acid battery and then replaced it with a lithium battery which is barely adequate, giving the same issue. Check out post 2 here and also the video, particularly from 8mins 35 secs. Lithium battery manufacturers make bold claims.

Edit: Also I believe Lithium batteries have a higher voltage so your standard alternator might not have enough oomph to get it to 100%.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle