You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Ducati Starting Problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

99ducatist2

Dec 12

99ducatist2 says:

Ducati Starting Problem

I have a starting issue with my 99 Ducati ST2. At atrt up, it "kicks-back" and resets the clock to "0". Like, there is an instantaneous short.  It only happens at start up, mostly when outside temp is cold. I have replaced all the battery cables with heavier gauge wire, as well as providing a secondary ground point for the battery, and installed a lithium ion battery. The problem has improved significantly, but it still does happen at times. I have chased all my wiring and cannot find visual signs of corrosion or a short. The bike always starts however, and it rarely happens in warm seasons. I've also installed a lithium ion battery, which is great, and has alleviated neutral light pulsing/flickering at idle, but I would like to remedy the starting kick back/electric issue once and for all. Any ideas?!!!!:sleep:

Regards,

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 December 2012 20:41)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi

I believe the answer is yes to the solenoid question.

Spitback through induction is usually an indication of weak fueling.

Are you able to carry out the tests that Jaffa asked?

You picked up on the solenoid what about the startermotor?

Dude if you help us then we are then able to see deeper into the crystal ball.

Reply to this Topic
99ducatist2

Dec 12

99ducatist2 says:

ST2 starting problem

In response to James600ZX on failing lead battery/switching to li-ion; NEGATIVE!!! This issue has been presistant for a while, it just was not causing the instrument panel/clock to reset. Fact is, the li-ion battery has reduced the re-occurrence significantly (twice in one year).

To jaffa90, I will follow through with your testing recommendations, for sure. Having owned the bike for as long as I have, and the fact that last year everything seemed to have checked out at 12,000 mile service done by the dealer (after installing the new battery), I'm doubtful charging system/voltage is the problem. But, I will follow through!!

In regards to poor fueling, I only use the highest octane available (93 in the U.S.). I can start adding octane booster, but again, I am doubtful, poor fueling is the root cause. I will consider the advise, however.

smidget. the dealer claims they tested the starter motor at 12,000 mile service and it checked out fine. They replaced the rectifier, but when I picked up the bike it showed signs that the problem was not resolved. I can have an independent starter/alternator shop run a check on it. So far, your read may be closest to reality (and jaffa90's), but I am grateful of all feedback. I will keep you all  posted, but it may be after X-mas before I can look into this more. Thank goodness, the bike does start. It just has this annoyance. Go Ducati!!!!!

Please continue communicating your thoughts as you see fit.

Thanks to all :smile 

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

ref poor fueling

Poor fueling doesn't mean the quality, or the octane rating of the fuel you are using, but the mixture itself. Usually, when aftermarket exhausts are fitted, the fuel mixture (air to fuel ratio) will need adjusting to suit. 

I had a 900ssie a little while ago, and fitted an additional earth lead (common mod) and with a new Yuasa battery, the engine spun over no problem. The starter motor main terminal (under the front of the engine) is covered with a rubber boot, which unfortunately holds water, and makes the terminal corrode something awful. Pull back the rubber boot, and make sure the terminal is clean and tight. Cover it in grease before you refit the boot. 

edit:  tell a lie, it was a Varta battery.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi again

What was the mileage when you got the bike in 2004?

What is the climate like where you are in the states?

How often do you ride the bike?

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Sorry to harp on about the battery but...

"last year everything seemed to have checked out at 12,000 mile service done by the dealer (after installing the new battery)"  - but it appears to be an intermittent problem most common in cold temperatures (which itself screams "battery!") so they wouldn't necessarily have experienced a problem.

I would again suggest that the work you've done to improve the charging system, -heavier gauge leads, secondary ground point, new reg/rec (the latter itself may have fixed your pulsing neutral light) were good but then you've added a lithium battery and handicapped the bike. (Lithium good for racing, not so good for road bikes in my opinion).

An intermittent problem is the worst to diagnose and makes test readings sometimes meaningless. I'd shove  a good lead-acid back in and see how it goes.

Alternatively, live with it and buy a watch. :wink:

PS: does it crank over for a time and then come to an abrupt stop, not crank at all, or crank slower and slower before stopping?

Reply to this Topic
99ducatist2

Dec 12

99ducatist2 says:

ST2 starting problem

Forgie, I agree with what you said, but doesn't re-chipping take care of mapping the mixture? At least, that's what I am under the impression of. I installed the pipes and the chip at the same time. The bike behaved the same with Yuasa as well. It just got to a point that it would reset the clock, and it got annoying. When I replaced the terminal cables for the battery, it included the starter lead. All was clean and corrosion free. The lower/belly cowl covers the starter and solenoid completely.

smidget, The bike, when I bought it, had 2,800 miles. I live in Northern Virginia, near D.C. The climate is hot and muggy in the summer, and cold in winter times. Having three bikes, it gets ridden once every two or three weeks, and at times, every week. The cracking issue thou, is irrespective of riding interval. At times, it does it at every start up, even if I am riding and stop to get a bit to eat. It has never ever not started after the kickback.

James600ZX, When it happens, it kicks back once and it starts, without needing to release the start button or retry. I will try your theory and use a standard battery to see. My gut feeling is that the battery is not the issue. I'm not gonna jump into replacing the relay or the the starter prematurely, but something tells me one of those two parts is the culprit.

All of you guys are great for helping me. I'm sure sooner or later we will figure this out, collectively.

Stay in touch guys!!! Thanks!!

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Ah, OK, I thought it wasn't starting. That's different then.
Is "kick-back" what us Brits call a back-fire? A bang?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

meter

Why not spend money on a multi/meter,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=multimeters&_sacat=0&_from=R40

it will detect most problems and save you £s or $s.

It could even detect why your a bit stubborn.:shock:   

Reply to this Topic
99ducatist2

Dec 12

99ducatist2 says:

ST2 starting problem

James600zx, no, we call it backfire in the U.S. too. the issue I am having is similar to a weak battery trying to crank the engine, but battery is not the problem in this case. That was determined a while back by different sources (repair shop, etc).

jaffa90, you were a smarty pants and somewhat rude once before, and I let it go, but not this time. As you seem to be a "know it all" youngster with very limited knowledge and experience, I ask that you stay off this discussion . You don't seem to get the fact that the bike's battery and charging system has checked out fine under various conditions. Thanks for your input thus far. :shock:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices