Skip to content

General stuck can,t decide! General

You are in... Forums > General > General > stuck can,t decide!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

tetley74

Jul 12

tetley74 says:

stuck can,t decide!

Hi everyone i currently (weather permitting) ride a 70 mile round trip commute to work on a 1996 rf600r which is 90% m/way(m6 bham rush hour) and dual carridge ways, next year im looking to upgrade to something newer and more economical & comfortable (rf is hard on wrists in slow moving traffic ie m6 5.00pm j4 to j9) but which bike? it has to be agile have good low down & midrange torque good to filter with and have a top fairing at least (full would be better) and have a tank range of 200miles+ ,ive looked at vstrom,er6f,tdm900,cbf00s,gsx650f,bmwf800st,or cbf1000s,bandit1250 i would like to hear from anyone who has ridden tthese who can give me an insight as to what they are like in everyday use (mpg,comfort,performance etc) & yes i know i will have to trade performance for comfort,or can anyone offer any credilble options, many thanks from a confused rider lol. PS needs to put a smile on face aswell.:wacko::laugh:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 December 2012 22:26)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

ER-6f

I've got a 2010 ER-6f that runs probably around 130 miles on a tank but it's got some great torque - pretty much all low-range power so great in traffic & town riding. Find it very comfortable (not lying on the tank or sitting bolt upright) and weight is pretty low down so easy to manage when filtering.

Pretty slim profile as well so you can slip quite comfortably between vehicles. 

Plus, every time I get off it I've always got a smile on my face!

Reply to this Topic
mobileenoph

Jun 07

mobileenoph says:

Not that I'm biased but..

.. go for the 1250 Bandit

Attached images:

1. 006  
  2. 006  
Reply to this Topic
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

BMW

probably BMW will be the most economical, low centre of gravity, comfort option, F650GS:

MPG over 500

Although about putting smile on your face, for me KTM 690 Duke is nice option :lol:

In fact you can do 70+ mpg with KTM 690 Duke, not likely though...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

when

ridden by a ROSPA rider in Ride magazine, (i.e. the bike in a responsive gear, keeping to speed limits, not thrashing it but certainly not pootling) the 690 Duke got 78mpg. This is from a responsive engine, not a dull one. Keeping the engine in the responsive zone kills economy on a single from my experience and so it's pretty impressive is this.

You might consider the big faired suzuki GSX 1250F (i think) as for a 70mile trip you'll appreciate a bigger engine. Also a good buy is the BMW F800ST which is cheap to maintain and easy for high mileage with its belt drive. Got quite a good rating in rider power but could be a little dull.

I used to do 70 miles a day on a DRZ 400SM. And before that on a 125 for a giggle. You can do it on anything. It's just the level of comfort you want.

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

well you aint

going to be doing any high speed stuff on that road at that time of day....something nice and nimble...Aprillia Mana, Fazer 800 or..............:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

Kwacker ZZR1200?  Will put a smile on your face,.. good on fuel, big fuel tank, comfortable, full fairing, and not expensive.  :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
tetley74

Jul 12

tetley74 says:

nice replies

Thanks some food for thought,the bmwf800st is appealing but that bandit 1250 looks real nice, now got me thinking that or a cbf1000 as it will also need to be  fun on a good twisty road at weekends.

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

v- strom

very comfortable, capable and economical if not the most exciting. handled ok on both a track day and a France tour this year. being a suzi the finish Isn' t the best but it didn't cost a fortune either. weather protection pretty good, handguards a bit small, madstad screen bracket stops wind buffeting to huge degree. michelin anakee tyres fantastic in wet,dry and for big mileage.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Comfort, 200 mile tank, and agile

Can't guarentee the 200 mile tank, but first thoughts are CBR600F (not RR), Fazer, or VFR.

I have a GSX600F; does all the things you asked for, but finish is not good for winter riding. Imagine the 650 is much the same.

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

i ride

a 58 plate er-6f 45 mile round trip and get 175 to a tank thats around 60mpg , i love the wee bike does great as an all round bike , and would recommend it .

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices