Skip to content

General bike tax ! General

You are in... Forums > General > General > bike tax !

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jonny68

Mar 09

jonny68 says:

bike tax !

Can't help but wonder if current bike tax classification is really fair to us two wheelers.

My peuogot 206 1.4 HDI has to pay £30 a year road tax as it it considered relitively environmentally friendly. It has a fuel consumption of 60mpg but wieghs in at a ton so will inflict some damage to the road network over the year period. My XJR 1300 has a fuel consumption of 50 mpg but only wieghs 1/4 ton so in theory will inflict less damage to the roads and is only marginally less frugal on fuel than my car and yet the annual road tax is over twice as much and lets not go into the level of road congestion that both the vehicles will cause.

Would it be better for bikes to pay road tax on co2 emmisions like cars do rather than engine capacity which is now a bit atiquated and surely the wieght of the vehicle and its contribution to congestion should also be considered when setting the tax level.

I would be interested to hear peoples views on this, and tell me I am barking up the wrong tree.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 December 2012 09:45)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Bike V car road tax

This might come as something of a suprise but bikes produce next to no CO2 emmissions. CO2 is formed by a relatively cold combustion process whereas bike combustions are somewhat higher. Bikes do however produce nitric oxide whereas cars produce very little of this emmission. The powers that be would try to suddenly decree nitric acid as being the worst pollutant on the planet rather than show considerred impartiallity

Reply to this Topic
jonny68

Mar 09

jonny68 says:

Bike tax

All new motorcycles now have to meet strict emmission laws and within the designs of bikes manufactuers have to incorperate hi tech fuel delivery systems, catalitic converters to name just two. These additional costs are cascaded down to the purchase price of new machines and yet we don't see the benefits in our road tax fees.

My little CBR125 can achieve 100mpg and is no more than a push bike on streroids, the tax is only £16 a year but this is still high when compared to hybrid cars that don't pay anything at all. This to me suggests that these cars have zero impact on the envionment.

Reply to this Topic
LearnerRider

May 12

LearnerRider says:

£16

Love my little Pulse Scout 49 scooter with only £16 a year tax, and I fill up £5 every 2weeks!

Reply to this Topic
YorkshireSheep

Nov 12

the issue is

they see us as choosing to own a bike presumably alongside also owning a car. 

as you are aware, cars and bikes were both done based on engine size but in trying to cut carbon emissions the government have chosen to encourage and influence people's choice in cars to pick a smaller more economical car.

no one has chosen to alter the way in which bikes are taxed hence my 1.2 diesel costing only £4 more than my 125cc

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices