You are in... Forums > General > General > Full bike test

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

LearnerRider

May 12

LearnerRider says:

Full bike test

Ok I am planing on doing my bike test some time in the new year so I can ride my 50 with no L plates! And carry a pillion (joke) the thing only does 30mph top end. 

Was wondering if you guys could give me a few tips on what to expect on the tests? 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 December 2012 10:48)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

What to expect

There'll be a man, telling you what to do. 
He'll be watching you all of the time.
If you f^ck up, he'll fail you.

:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

soz....

was that long ago i can't remember.........:huh:

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

LR

Mod 1

Mod 2 sort of like that, no 2 rides are the same so you'll need to make sure you show your examiner that you are confident, able to ride safely(remember shoulder checks etc) have a good understanding of the highway and within the speed limit.

Hope this helps,good luck with the tests.

Ride safe.

unit.

Reply to this Topic
YorkshireSheep

Nov 12

did mine not long ago

Mod 1 is all about control of the bike, can you control it slowly and quickly or will you be a danger to yourself when riding?

Two things I needed to remember for Mod 1 is:
1)turn engine off before putting the bike onto the stand
2)treat the entire test pad (like a car park full of traffic cones) as though it's sainsburys car park on christmas eve - check blind spots etc before moving, including when pushing the bike. 

you'll be told what you're needing to do between each bit, if you don't understand, ask.

Mod 2 is a ride where you are followed given directions except when you'll be asked to follow signs for a place or a road number to ensure you can ride and navigate at the same time. 

things I needed to remember:
1) look out for bus-stops when asked to pull in and stop at the side of the road, the test centre I went to is known for trying to catch you out
2) shoulder checks

Reply to this Topic
ajmcguk

Feb 12

ajmcguk says:

Hmmmm

Did my Mod 2 last month (passed first time, 2 minors) and my Mod 1 in October (passed second time, no minors).

There's already been some good info posted about what to expect, so I'll just focus on where I went wrong.

Mod 1:

I was very nervous, which meant that I didn't realise how hard I was pressing on the rear brake during the emergency stop. I therefore locked the rear wheel and failed. Most people recommend just covering the back brake enough to look like you're using it and rely mostly on the front brake (since that does most of the braking anyway).

Another tip is regarding the U-turn. Before you start off you need to do a life saver check, BUT... if you travel a certain distance (normally more than half of the length of the U-turn area) you are expected to do another life saver check before turning. In my first test, I turned on the half way mark and he said if I had gone any further he would've penalised me for it.

Mod 2:

I actually found the Mod 2 no problem as I had been riding for 6 months. The main things I made sure I watched out for were:
  • Indicating when you go around a parked car
  • Life saver checks where required
  • If you miss a roundabout exit, carry on all the way around the roundabout. As long as you do this safely, you won't even get a minor. Dashing across the roundabout to exit will see you fail straight away.
The best advice for the Mod 2 is just enjoy it. At the beginning I was very nervous and was therefore quite wobbly, which I'm not normally. After a few mins I got into the flow and it actually became quite enjoyable.

Reply to this Topic
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

training

mod 1 - see attached test centre layout, note the scale is wrong use dimensions on page 3, go to a car park and do 2 days training and you will pass, every time you stop or start the bike look left and right.

Find your test centre go look at the real layout and try mentally to do the test few times - it helps a lot to familiarize with the real place.

mod2 - find where is the real test centre routes and go around, again on the test do left and right checks and you will be fine.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices