Skip to content

Ask an Expert 125 or full license straight away... New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > 125 or full license straight away...

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

traxdata12

Dec 12

traxdata12 says:

125 or full license straight away...

Hi

I completed my CBT in September. Now I am weighing up whether to buy a cheap 125 runaround or use the money to complete Modules 1 and 2 for my full bike license.

As money is tight and this isnt a priority I am trying to figure out what route to take.

a) get a 125 for a years experience. Looked at lexmoto 125xtr but given what I have read I may as well spend half the money around £700 on a used Honda CBF. Gain experience and confidence. Get some cheapish gear.

b)or use the money as above and but do my modules then still have a while to wait before getting a bigger bike and better kit.

what do people generally do, go straight to big bike? or work their way up? I suspect it is a confidence thing - which is why I am leaning towards a 125.....

Advice appreciated from experienced riders out there, thanks muchly!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (17 December 2012 11:55)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
traxdata12

Dec 12

traxdata12 says:

hey....anyone

anyone anything to offer?

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

125 Vs licence

My first inclination would be to go with the 125 for a year,  but given they are always dicking around with the test, maybe you'd be better off going with that while you can.

After all, you can save money on insurance with a full licence indefinitely (having a full one for longer means cheaper rates for many years to come), and you'll be in position to get a bigger bike that much sooner as circumstances allow.

Personally, I worked up from quite a while on a small bike, and got the full licence right away, but that's mainly because I couldn't afford anything else.

Reply to this Topic
traxdata12

Dec 12

traxdata12 says:

I'm not so fussed at the changing of the tests - recent changes dont affect me anyway as I'm 30. I think the more I think about it the more I should just jump on a 125 if anything for confidence sake!

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

125s

Sure,  as long as you're not in some great hurry, spending a while on a 125 will teach you a heck of a lot more about the road, and the way bikes fit into traffic, than struggling to come to terms with a heavy bike.

When you're really good and ready to move on, you'll know, and there's no hurry to hit that point.  Good luck mate.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Jesus

so differant in my day. got to say a 125 is better than no bike at all. how ever long its for. get the 125

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices