Skip to content

Ask an Expert Middle weight bikes Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Middle weight bikes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mafakin

Oct 11

mafakin says:

Middle weight bikes

I am looking to buy a middle weight that has a bit more performance than my MT-03. Suzuki Gladus, Kawasaki er-6n, yamaha fazer, the new Honda 500's and Street triple are all on my list. I only ride for pleasure around the mendips. Any thoughts - it would make a great "head to head" article in MCN !

Thank you jim

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (17 December 2012 12:57)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

middle-weight

Consider a gsx650F - it's a great sports/touring combo, very good value for money, and great fun to ride.  Reliable with decent equipment.  Can't do much better tbh.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Budget?, Buying new or Secondhand?

Before I can say much you need to say a lot more about your physical size, how many miles you tend to do at once etc. Assuming you aren't 6 foot tall and ride for less than one and a half  hours at a time a naked isn't a bad bet for pleasure riding...
Since some of these bikes are very different from an MT3 you might need to give yourself an extended test - My initial ride on a Hornet (from A Deauville) was very underwhelming (it felt noisy and slow because you really need to rev it and its actually quite slow off the line even if you do - slower than even a CBF600). It was only on the next day that I really got to enjoy it and found its inner naughtyness...
If you are considering the Street triple don't forget the Honda Hornet. Its a great bike too, there are many Honda dealers about, the mechanics are very easy to work on (loads of spares) and there are quite a few available. I prefer the look of the post 2007 model but the earlier ones are cheaper and good for the money. Another slightly rare but interesting middleweight naked is the Ducati Monster. Huge difference in how they generate power compared to a hornet. In the end you are going to have to decide if you want a 4 or a V twin. The Street is somewhere between...My ER6 (and a gladius for that matter) was a good bike but in all fairness it was not a Hornet. The ER6/Gladius have more low end and are more "practical" but its not got that top end rush that is VERY addictive (or the nice 4 cylinder exhaust note) and the build quality is much worse. If you want quality feel a post 2007 Hornet, Triumph street or a Ducati will definitely look better (sorry i am turning into a bike snob:lol:) although an ER6 or Gladiius (or an SV) are really great bikes.
The only caution I have with Nakeds is their size (oh yeah and the mirrors are AWFUL). They are quite uncomfortably small if you are near six foot and they are sufficiently low the visibility isn't great - you will struggle to see over the top of hedges or other cars compared to a GS or a Guzzi Breva 1100 (which are both huge in comparison) !

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
mafakin

Oct 11

mafakin says:

Middle weight bikes

Thank you Andy, Budget £5,500, height 5'7'' my weight 10st 7lbs ( on a good day!) and age - 65 so not into too much excitement!! I do no more than 3K a year at about an hour and a half at a time - when Cheddar gorge reopens that is....:smile

regards

jim 

Reply to this Topic
LEO61

Aug 08

LEO61 says:

Middleweight

I'm with Slow learner on this one. I owned a GSX650F for 3 years, and put 32,000 miles on it during that time. Excellent bike, bomb proof engine, 19 litre tank, and great weather protection. Take a test ride and see what you think. :biggrin::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices