You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Bike written off

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Teide

Apr 07

Teide says:

Bike written off

I had an accident on the M4 last November due to a reckless driver, and although the bike did not seem to have suffer too much it was been asses by the third party and they are scrapping it (cat D). I lost the front, as I can recall it was just the side panel, mirror and foot peg that got damaged.

They are offering me 3K for the bike (Kawasaki ER 6F 09Reg). First of all, I think it was worth more than that, it has a top box and an alarm system, it has full service history and I had just fully serviced it in October (20.000 miles) plus I had just paid a year MOT and I will be losing the reminder of my insurance.

Is this normal, should I set for this, what about compensation for not having a bike or having to go through the grieve of looking and buying a new one?

Could you give me some advice?

Thanks

Ric

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (17 December 2012 15:33)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Teide

Sorry to hear of your accident.

Did you have Fully Comprehensive insurance and did it come with Legal protection?

Have you spoken to a lawyer such as www.bikelawer to see what they think and what your options are.

Have you received a full breakdown of the issues concerning the damage to you bike.

Have you looked to see what the bike was worth on the market at the time yours was trashed.

Has the other driver been procecuted for Dangerous or Careless driving?

With regard to the costs of MOT and service, these are not normally taken into account when assessing vehicle damage in accident cases.

Topbox and alarm are viewed as extras and you can try to get recompense for the value of them but I doubt you will get too much back on them if anything unless you go through a lawer.

Try the link they are a good outfit I tried them and they were great.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Never accept their first offer

They'll always try to "low-ball" you to start off with.

Unfortunately, the grief of having to change vehicles doesn't enter into it.  It's like you're happily going along, and then if your vehicle is swiped away, and you're given a cheque for its nominal value by way of replacement, then it's just all the same to you and you have nothing to complain about.

Swine, the lot of them.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Insurance payout

Show some sympathy for the motor insurance underwriters guys.  How can they afford to compensate people properly for written off bikes when they have to spend all their money on settling false whiplash claims? :lol::lol:

Sorry to hear of your accident Ric.  If I were you I'd fight for a better offer - you are likely to get something more.  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices