Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Cheap tips for winter riding General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Cheap tips for winter riding

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Cheap tips for winter riding

My new job means I am riding 25 miles each way to work and back and I have never really done this amount of winter riding before. My mate has told me about sticking some insulating tape across the top of my visor to act as a sunshade for the low sun on damp roads but are there any other cheap...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 December 2012 16:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

If riding in the rain wear the best waterproof clothing, if it's cold then insulation by way of layers or heated clothing is best.If the sun is low pull your helmet down or employ a race style posture "arse up head down" if riding in Snow make sure you carry a set of Snow shoes just in case you get stuck in a drift and have to walk home. If riding on Ice then good bloody luck.

Reply to this Topic
Big_Boomer

Oct 05

Big_Boomer says:

Muffs

Buy some handlebar muffs if ya get cold hands. They can look ugly but will help keep yer hands warm and dry especially with heated grips. Carry a microfibre cloth and a small bottle of screencleaner with ya. Nothing worse for giving you a headache than peering through layers of dirt. I did 2 winters on my 1400GTR but now no longer have to, thank God! :-)

Reply to this Topic
VVVslim

Dec 12

VVVslim says:

I rode all through last year too, even in the ice/snow. Best tips I have are more common sense than anything to be honest. Wear plenty of layers, at times I wear both leggings and jeans tucked into my socks (2 pairs) & boots, and then textile bottoms over the top. Also tuck your shirt into your trousers, I wear 2 shirts, a thin jacket and then the bike jacket. In snow I sometimes add a fleece to that too! Don't forget a face mask too! At the moment I'm still wearing my 'Summer' gloves but I carry my winter gloves around with me. A good idea is to also carry some latex gloves or what I use is polyurethane coated mechanic gloves, which are thin but help more than you think. I tend to use those under my summer gloves, just got more feeling with the clutch/brake compared to big puffy winter gloves. Also a cloth and screencleaner will do wonders with your visor, I use it before every ride...smells good too! Apart from the clothing there isn't much more you could do really. Just ride safe! Gentle on the throttle, much more rear braking than the front.

Reply to this Topic
Garfs

Dec 12

Garfs says:

Warm your hands..

Buy a naked street bike and when you pull up at the lights just reach down warm your hands on the side of the engine. Failing that, limit windchill with some handlebar mounted hand guards. Not as warm as muffs but look much better.

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

I ride all year textile suit and neck tube ( got free with Fast Bike mag). If your bike has carbs, they might freeze. My sv650s is prone to freezing, then stalling and won't start for about half an hour. I moved the ram air hose down to the exhaust pipe so it would be sucking warmer air. It worked great last year haven't got any carb icing yet this year so haven't moved the hose yet.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Blimey Angus, by the time you have got that lot on, got the bike out, bungeed your gear on the carrier, put earplugs in and put your lid on, you could have got to work on the bus! If anyone has less than around 3 miles to go, I'd walk it, take a camera and be ready to film a shunt on the ice and earn yourself £250 on You've been framed! Haven't we had a similar question on this subject already?

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Layers

good thermal underwear at least £25

Womens tights £3 and bloody warmer.

just don't crash cause you'll end up having to answer a lot of questions

otherwise a bike you can stick knobbly tyres on, which can be great fun in Snow!

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

Potatoes

Rub a cut fresh spud on the inside of your visor and gently polish...helps to stop misting...honestly!

Reply to this Topic
zanethehamster

Dec 12

Keep on riding, rider ...

Hi all - I don't have much of a budget to buy stuff so have to be really careful that what i do buy counts ... I wear layers when it gets cold, doubling-up on my socks, wearing thin silk inner gloves, Grandad's long-johns under my Draggin' jeans, couple of long-sleeved t-shirts under my leather jacket, waterproof over-trousers and hi-viz orange jacket bought for less than a fiver on eBay. And only if it's really raining do i attempt to pull on my ninja-turtle 2-finger waterproof overgloves, they're a sod to pull on. Visor misting is the bane of my life, especially when it's really wet and/or cold - trying 'Shift-It' spray at the moment, but doesn't work well under all conditions. Might try the potatoes, or maybe a thick solution of washing-up liquid (used by snorklers and divers). As for riding I just remember to ride slower and more cautiously in colder conditions (car drivers are paying even less attention than usual), don't stamp on the rear brake too hard, and if you think you're going to fall off - you will. Just check out motorcycle gymkhana on YouTube to see how hard you have to push to actually fall off 8^-))

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

Dont put tape on your visor as it may damage it.

The glue can react with the plastic and thats a new visor  £30 plus

i use fogcity hyper optiks shield, they are exellent,   a reactalight insert for your visor and they dont steam up as its basicly double glazing.

They are cheap and well worth it.£16 at M&P and great in  summer

Aldi have a great rang of thermals and they are cheap and work , also lidl.

Buy your self apair of inner gloves as they keep your hands warm.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices