Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Cheap tips for winter riding General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Cheap tips for winter riding

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Cheap tips for winter riding

My new job means I am riding 25 miles each way to work and back and I have never really done this amount of winter riding before. My mate has told me about sticking some insulating tape across the top of my visor to act as a sunshade for the low sun on damp roads but are there any other cheap...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 December 2012 16:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zanethehamster

Dec 12

Cold battery and carbs ..

Also need to add, I find i have to wrap my XJ600N in a blanket and waterproof cover to try to keep the battery and carbs from getting too cold in frosty weather, otherwise i find i have to jumpstart it from a car - absolutely fine otherwise. Nice warm engine also warms hands up at traffic lights ...

Reply to this Topic
sidspeakin

Mar 09

sidspeakin says:

winter riding

Man or women up still ware leathers and summer gloves even in winter  the only consetion i make to winter riding is neck tube and speed mind only ride about 10 mile to work ,>)

Reply to this Topic
carvern

Oct 06

carvern says:

The plastic gloves you get at petrol stations for when filling up with diesel make great waterproof inner gloves and there FREE!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

sidespeakin

Any one who still wears "Summer gloves" in freezing conditions must have "Anti Freeze" for blood!

Reply to this Topic
dg3007

Apr 08

dg3007 says:

Winter riding

For good kit on a budget try Ride magazine website and check out product reviews, they will ensure you get the best performing kit for your budget. The tip of they petrol station gloves is a good one, an alternative is the medical type nitrile gloves. You can buy a box pretty cheap which will last ages and are very handy when doing dirty jobs on bike. I highly recommend Fog Tech from visor vision to prevent steaming visors. If they still do it in the small bottles get that as it better value than the wipes. A final winter riding tip, although not a cheap one, is buy quality tyres. Enjoy.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Nitrile gloves!

They might sound like a good idea, but I can tell you from experience that after a while your hands will sweat that much you may as well not bother as you will have hands as wet as if you didn't bother. The warmest and most waterproof gloves I have ever owned (and had them on yesterday) are the 3 finger Pathan glove from Hein Gericke, if they are still called that. As for feet, I used a pair of waterproof overboots this summer in a massive rainstorm in Austria, Tech 7 ones I think and my feet were the only thing dry at the end of the day!

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

P.S.

You could buy both those items and still have change from £50.

Reply to this Topic
polhouse

Sep 05

polhouse says:

Old MCNs

When I used to ride every day in the winter i used to put a copy of MCN (once you have read it) down each trouser leg at the knee area, and one down the front of my jacket.  It made a hell of a difference to my warmth even on the coldest days on my 35 mile each way commute, and once I had got to work, I had something to read during my morning constitutional!

This really does work and costs very little, and you can use any other newspaper but MCN works best!

Reply to this Topic
Preadator

Jan 12

Preadator says:

My Winter riding kit costs hundreds of pounds but the bit of kit i get the most comfort from is the windproof neck tube, i pull it up over my chin and the helmet strap keeps it on my face, this helps keep me really warm.

Second tip, keep your speed down (never thought i'd say that!) its the windchill that gets you really cold, so go a bit slower and it's not so bad.

Keep a slightly damp cloth or sponge in your pocket to wipe off the salt and crap from your visor, there's not much worse than a visor you cant see out of.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Winter riding

Anti mist visor inserts are useful as are one piece waterproofs. I've mentioned it many times before but heated gloves are a godsend in the middle of winter. I've tried heated grips but they cramp up my hands a bit becuase of the increased diameter and frankly they're not nearly as good as heated gloves.

I bought a pair of waterproof overpants with full leg length zips earlier this year. They're actually designed for equestrian use but have been very very useful. They're very easy to get on and off because of the full length zip and have been extremely waterproof and hardwearing.

Good quality waterproof footwear is fairly essential and sometimes it can be cold enough to make you need to wear 2 pairs of socks.

Other than that just remember the roads aren't as grippy as the middle of summer so moderate your riding to suit.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices