Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Cheap tips for winter riding General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Cheap tips for winter riding

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Cheap tips for winter riding

My new job means I am riding 25 miles each way to work and back and I have never really done this amount of winter riding before. My mate has told me about sticking some insulating tape across the top of my visor to act as a sunshade for the low sun on damp roads but are there any other cheap...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 December 2012 16:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Winter riding

Anti mist visor inserts are useful as are one piece waterproofs. I've mentioned it many times before but heated gloves are a godsend in the middle of winter. I've tried heated grips but they cramp up my hands a bit becuase of the increased diameter and frankly they're not nearly as good as heated gloves.

I bought a pair of waterproof overpants with full leg length zips earlier this year. They're actually designed for equestrian use but have been very very useful. They're very easy to get on and off because of the full length zip and have been extremely waterproof and hardwearing.

Good quality waterproof footwear is fairly essential and sometimes it can be cold enough to make you need to wear 2 pairs of socks.

Other than that just remember the roads aren't as grippy as the middle of summer so moderate your riding to suit.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Man-up

I ride 98 miles each way, so just grow some cajones and get out on your bike! Heated grips and warm layers help but so do waterproof outerlayers that keep the windchill and wet stuff out. Just don't wussy out and take the car.

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

If you have non USD forks wrap the lowers with tape to stop the salt erosion. Apply a thin wipe of grease to exposed ferrous metal parts to keep the salt away, but obviously not the brake discs. Fit extended mudguards and extra bright headlight bulbs.

Reply to this Topic
R6nutter6

Jan 04

R6nutter6 says:

Winter riding mod

Buy a cheap £500 quid car and park the bike up for winter.

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

winter riding

Dont worry about tape on your visor.  when you look at it the upper and lower vision is not as important as the sideways one.  by all means put tape on top of visor and or indeed on bottom to.  I have had them on my visors for over 10 years [ different helmets of course] without any ill effects on the visor. 

With the tape on [ could be any colour] it helps keep the sun from shining directly into ones eyes, unlike a pair of glasses or shaded visor which allows the light to penitrate and you end up with grey or blind areas in certain places, usually the nearside of the road, which could be dangerous.

By placing tape on the bottom one can lift the visor and wearing other eye protection  move ones head slightly when one has to in order to avoid direct sunlight in the eye.   Thats the killer.

Just beware in such low sun that other drivers WILL NOT SEE YOU at junctions or crossing your path so take extra care.

Also be aware of strobing. now that the trees are bare whilst riding past them the sunlight shining through could have an annoying and sometime dangerous  strobing effect so be aware of it and look away. ok.  Keep safe.

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

winter riding

Further to what your mate said, tape on the top of your visor will not stop light reflected up into your eyes from the wet road surface. its a difficult one. even sunglasses have little effect on it and as we all know we must see the tarmac in front of us.  Just ride safer by slowing without causing a tail back

. keep good distance between you and the vehicle in front, the greater the width of that vehiclee the greater the distance behind you need to be so that you will be better seen by all other traffic that either wants to turn in front of you or enter your road from the nearside.

Dont ride to far into the road, near the white lines[ if there are any?] where perhaps the driver of the vehicle in front can see you.  He wont care if you are there anyway but you may get undertaken by a stupid cage driver who either thinks you turning [ without indication] or shouldnt be on the road in the first place.

Many would say stay in the middle of your lane but you can move from side to side [ not swerving] in order to overtake a line of parked cars or to obtain better vision of whats going on  in front and to show yourself to any oncoming traffic that you think should know of your presence.

There may be a safer way to wherever you go that may not include as much traffic. Only  you can decide.

Stay safe. ride defensively.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Anti-Fog?

What I want are truly fog-proof prescription glasses that fit under a lid.  I may end up going to an electrically heated snowmobile visor, as all the anti-fog coatings and treatment seem to not work that well.

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

Heated vest

Buy one. More important then heated anything else as keeping your trunk warm means your hands and feet get more blood flow, as well as your brain.

Reply to this Topic
Lukaz2205

Jul 05

Lukaz2205 says:

if you can get a Yellow Visor or insert (or even yellow lensed goggles/glasses) they tend to show up Diesel that little bit better in the wet, orange is ok but not as good as orange. decent gloves, if they have any kind of venting buy some that dont. ACF50/FS365 for the bike when it comes to winter its worth it. also, When you stop at traffic lights for a prolonged period of time i tend to put my hands on the crankcases to get some heat into em.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle